FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help Understanding 2D Video Cards

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tbagg
Help Understanding 2D Video Cards
on Jan 12, 2006 at 6:21:03 am

Hi -

I understand the role of CPU and RAM and Power Supply and Harddrives when it comes to editing - BUT - I am still lacking in the video card department.

I understand the basics... like... You need a Dual Head card if you want to have two monitors (or - hook it up to a single 30" DELL). If you have a 20" monitor that does 1600x1200 then you want a video card that offers that resolution etc. Also - PCI Express is the way to go.

So after that it comes down to the fact that some cards are meant for 2D (PNY Quadro FX1300) while others are meant for 3D (Connect3D X1800 XL). The cards i have used as examples cost about the same price.

With a better 3D card... when you play a game... it will make it look 'more life like'... or you'll get more frames per second. But how will a 2D card help me while editing? What task is the FX1300 going to excel at that the X1800 doesn't? It must be something since all the video editing machines use it but I can't figure out what.

Could someone shed some light on this?

Return to posts index

dhappi
Re: Help Understanding 2D Video Cards
on Jan 18, 2006 at 4:28:53 pm

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that Quadro card isn't really a "2d" card as it is set up to handle a wide spectrum of different applications' implementation of openGL and is a fairly common choice for 3d modeling workstations. What you pay for with a Quadro is stability I think, and compliance with applications. No idea on the other card. I've used the Quadros for work and play and I can tell you that card is going to perform very well. But I'm not a gamer-framerateaholic or anything.

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: Help Understanding 2D Video Cards
on Jan 20, 2006 at 3:01:58 am

Hey - thanks for the reply.

I have decided to go with a card that is recommended by Adobe for premiere 2.0... The 7800 GTX. Dell has a deal in canada where you can pick up the 30" LCD for $1599 and add on the 7800 GTX for $450 (CDN$).
I know - it's expensive!! - but trust me - I deserve it. I haven't upgraded my computer since 1999. My desktop is a p3450 with a 17" CRT.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]