FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating System - Need Advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wynnbeez
Updating System - Need Advice
on Jan 11, 2006 at 8:31:34 am

I want to update my current system to use for video editing. I currently use it for audio production but have just purchased Adobe Premiere Pro. Current configurations is:

MB Asus P4 P4P800S 848P ICH5 RET
CPU P4 3.2 GHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT
DDRAM 1G PC-3200 Geil (GL5123200B-G)
VGA ATI Radeon 9600 128M 8X AGP
HD 200GB Maxtor SATA
Sony DVD+/-RW 8X (DWU18A)
Lite On CDRW/DVD Combo 52x32x52x16
8N1 Card Reader
Windows XP Home w/SP2
Case is a LUNA PSI 606 with built in 350W power supply

This computer is 1 1/2 years old so the components were actually pretty new when I purchased it. Can someone tell me if I can upgrade this to use for small video production such as wedding, family, etc. using both scanned in photos and video capture clips? Also, do I need to upgrade to Windows XP Pro? If so, I heard that upgrading can cause problems...is this true? What outboard equipment will I need to capture video to computer? Or should I just buy a new computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: Updating System - Need Advice
on Jan 11, 2006 at 11:03:38 pm

Hi,

Your existing CPU and motherboard look okay to me. If your MOBO doesn't have firewire on it you can just buy a card to capture with. You might consider putting in 2 gig's of ram (instead of having just one) but 1 should be fine to start. Also - you only have a 350 Watt power supply. The video guys articles recommend like 500 Watts or more. Crashes because of power supply issues are hard to troubleshoot is why. 350 may work... but... just a warning in case funny stuff starts happening.

I can point out a major problem with your hard drive configuration. Firstly, you need to have a drive devoted to the system. ie. "Windows" and then one devoted to editing. (The problem is that windows needs to occasionally write to the harddrive while you are capturing video to your computer... which makes the needle on a single hard drive go all all over the place - possibly dropping frames) Also - make sure your hard drive is 7200 RPM. I assume it would be but you should double check. Some guys even capture using RAID 0 so you might consider buying 2 harddrives.

I am still trying to figure out the impact that video cards have on video editing. Yours is pretty low end... but i think it will do the job. ie. They don't render... they don't write to the hard drive... they just display stuff on the screen. So... I think your card should be fine assuming you just want one monitor for now (instead of dual).

I would assume XP Home would work fine.

Hope this helps. I am just starting to learn this stuff too so let me know how everything works for you.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Updating System - Need Advice
on Jan 12, 2006 at 12:44:39 am

I think tbagg explained it well.
you have enough CPU
when you make an NLE computer.. people tend to not install any other programs or surf the internet w/ that computer since it will slow down your computer and increase your chances of crashes.
Yes, you will want to RAID 0 two hard drives for media.
I too suspect your power supply will be too weak for editing... actually I am surprised he doesn't have problems with it today. a 3.2Ghz CPU can suck a lot of juice. It must be a good quality PS.
I am always preaching this- Don't give the 500 number too much weight, since that probably is only peak wattage and not sustained wattage. Look for ~18 amps under 12v. I use the cost ruler-If you're purchasing a power supply for an MSRP of under $50 it will be too 'cheap' to run NLEs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]