FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY4 Update

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tbagg
DIY4 Update
on Jan 2, 2006 at 10:50:47 pm

Asked video guys what the deal is with DIY4 since they said it would be by end of 2005 - Here was the response I got via email:

-----------------------------

her's the inside scoop. It's going to be a dual core system. We were about to put one togehter using teh 955x xhipset when we saw a pre-release review for the 975. so we are waiting for this motherboard to start shipping!!! http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2631

Return to posts index

grnarrow
Re: DIY4 Update
on Jan 2, 2006 at 10:59:32 pm

Sad I was hoping it was going to be an athlon system.

Return to posts index

tbagg
on Jan 2, 2006 at 11:24:41 pm

yeah - its interesting because when i told my techie friends that I was buying a computer all 3 of them suggested the dual core Athalon x2 4200+. Apparently they don't have the 'cooling' problems that Intel has. Of course - they are assuming I am using my computer for programming/gaming.

BUT - I was talking to some guy who builds computers and he told me that I want an Intel chip. According to him Intel is the standard for video editing.

So yeah... I guess I am confused because all these people I work with and respect recommend Athalon but the websites about video editing seem to use Intel.

Another friend told me to wait 6 months before i buy athalon because there is limited 64 bit support.

I am probably going to go with a computer somewhere in between DIY2 and DIY3 using Intel

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 3, 2006 at 3:12:53 am

Guys, we 're working hard on this one. So far we've had very good reports from our vendors with the Intel 955 chipsets, and we were about to go with it. The ASUS P5WD2 Premium looks liek a great choice, and if you can't wait for our DIY4 article, it's the mobo I would go with. The SuperMicro PDSG4 looks good as well.

Then the 975 pre-release reviews started hitting. We know you're going to
depend on our DIY articles, so we want to pick the mobo that's going to be the best performer and a chipset that we can recommend for a long period of time. We think the Asus P5WDG2-WS is going to be the winning mobo.

AMD - we like them, and we do recommend them for experts. Unfortunately building a DIY machine with AMD is not as easy. They just require more tweaking for video. Our vendors also tend to recommend Intel over AMD, but we are trying really hard to get them to give AMD their due. I am very tempted to go with an AMD dual core as well. I'm just not sure we can pull off a double DIY review. We'll have to wait and see.

Gary

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on Jan 3, 2006 at 10:00:06 pm

Do we know when the Asus P5WDG2-WS motherboard will be available?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]