FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help with a video card

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mytheory.
Need help with a video card
on Jan 2, 2006 at 4:19:06 am

I need help choosing a video card, the main purpose I have in mind is for video editing. I read the DIY section and it seems to standby the PNY FX series. Are these still a good video card as of today? I was considering the FX540, but I want to get some more opinions before I go ahead and buy it. I am looking to run Premiere Pro 1.5 and need at least dual monitor capabilities.

BTW, exactly when where those DIY articles complied?

Thanx

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: Need help with a video card
on Jan 2, 2006 at 10:24:19 pm

I am having the same problem figuring out what card to get. ie. the 540 vs the 1300. (And another problem I am having is figuring out whether to go with two 19" monitors or one big monitor - 23"+).

I did some quick research and from my understanding, the 540 does not support dual monitors (see this web page) http://www.boxxtech.com/technology/hdvpak.asp. I am not sure about the speed/performance differences between the two but I would assume the 1300 is much faster.

I am a 'hobbyist' just getting into this. I was talking to a friend who works in the industry and he told me at his college and on the job all of their computers have Dual LCD computer monitors and a TV preview monitor. He told me they have an expensive preview monitor since that is the actual finished product. Anyway - I was asking him if I should get a 23" monitor or 2 19" monitors and he suggested the two 19's since its all he's ever seen at work or at college. So yeah... for that reason I am leaning towards the FX1300 Quadro.

Let me know if you learn anything new about the 1300 or 540 that makes you want it or not want it.

Return to posts index

tamarack1965
I'm also wondering...what video card?
on Jan 3, 2006 at 5:08:35 pm

I'm currently using an nVidia GeForce 5200FX with 128mb DDR onboard. My projects in Pinnacle Studio 9+ get awfully slow and sometimes lock up, especially when they reach the 30-minute mark or more. I recently went from 512mb dual DDR to 1GB and saw a marked difference. I figured a better video card with more onboard memory (like 256mb) would help a lot.
I saw the VideoGuys ad for the PNY Quadro 540 and put it on my wishlist. To have a card made more for NLE than for gaming sounds great. But it only has 128mb. Am I wrong to assume that 'bigger is better'? Would the Quadro 540 (I couldn't afford the more expensive models) be better than the card I have now, or a higher model nVidia with twice the memory (and half the price)? Or 'bang-for-the-buck' wise, would increasing my dual DDR ram be a better performance inhancer. Perhaps a 3+ P4 processor instead of my 2.4G? I know, 'all of the above' is best - but if I have to choose just one (and I do), what would be best?
I've been at this for several years now but am still in the dark about a lot of things like this.
Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]