FORUMS: list search recent posts

New To Editing, Need Advice on Products

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JDR12
New To Editing, Need Advice on Products
on Dec 31, 2005 at 4:06:45 am

I am new to editing. I just did a family movie using Cyberlink Powerdirector 4. It crashed constantly. I had to make several different DVD's just to get everything done. I am at a loss over all of the products available now. They are expensive and each one seems to be better than the other. I have seen where many of you are hyping Avid Liquid 7. I used Pinnacle's Pro 10 version and it crashed and had several other problems. Now, that I see their name attached to this, I have doubts.

So, for someone like me who wants to do small projects such as weddings, football games, vacations, what is the best product for the money? I want something that allows me to show clips in slow motion, does a great job in fixing bad video footage, etc. Also, something that is not hard to use, won't crash on me, and allows me to use 1 DVD instead of multiple to get a project done. I am using a Dell Dimension 5100 (300 gig of hard drive space), 1.5 gig of Ram, 256 ATI Hyper Mem Video, 2.8 GHZ. I have a Canon Elura 90 that I am using as a camcorder (its DV). $500 is alot of money to throw down on something that is more of a hobby and I want to make sure I get the best product possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: New To Editing, Need Advice on Products
on Jan 1, 2006 at 1:45:04 pm

Studio 10 has bugs in it that Pinnacle / Avid is working to fix ASAP.

Avid Liquid is a solid product, and you should not let your Studio10 experience get in the way of migrating to it. As a Studio owner you can upgrade to Liquid for $299.95. Once you do, you'll be on a far more powwerful, feature rich and STABLE videoe diting platform.

Gary

Return to posts index

JDR12
on Jan 1, 2006 at 5:47:50 pm

What is your take on Adobe Products?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 1, 2006 at 6:32:11 pm

Adobe Premiere Elements is a very nice program for getting started. Premeire Pro is more professional and what many of our users edit with.

If you are going with Premeire Pro, check out the MAtrox RTX100XPNC for $1099. It includes the complete Adobe Video Collection and the RTX100 real=time accelerator card. http://www.videoguys.com/rtx100.html

Gary

Return to posts index

John Applegate
Liquid Demo to try out...
on Feb 3, 2006 at 5:34:47 pm

JDR12,

Just an FYI... I found out while re-installing Studio 10 a third time that the studio 10 bonus materials DVD has a liquid demo on it. Many functions are disabled but it is suffient to kick the tires. I don't know, but suspect, that earlier versions of Pinnacle Studio installation materials (v9.0) may also have a liquid demo on them. You may wish to check it out if you have not already made an NLE decision. Could be a venue for you to kick the tires...

I have been playing with Vegas and Liquid product demo's as well as Avids Xpress Free product (which is as its name implies - Free). Liquid and Xpress Free have what feels to be very similar work flows. Vegas is a different animal but very functional and in some cases, I think more intuitive than the other two. All three of these have been rock stable for me during my project creation tests. At this juncture, I am leaning towards Avid Liquid 7 as it can be had for $299 upgrade to Studio. Shoot me an e-mail if you would like more details.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]