FORUMS: list search recent posts

video cards sufficient for real time editing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grnarrow
video cards sufficient for real time editing?
on Dec 18, 2005 at 3:05:40 am

I'm trying to figure out what video cards to consider to give me reasonable real time previewing during editing.

Given this setup:
Premiere Pro 1.5
P4 2.6Ghz
1GB RAM
SATA for OS
SATA for video

I want to be able to do real time previews of:
1 main video and audio track, with basic transitions like cross dissolves, wipes, throw on some moving titles or simple graphic overlays.

Some occassion more demanding stuff like picture in picture, page curls, etc would be nice, but wouldn't be used very often.

I want to have my editing window on one 19" computer monitor, a second would be nice but not necessary. I do however want to be able to watch the previews on a TV.

So what should I be looking for while keeping an eye on cost? Is there any compelling reason to go for a matrox rtx100 extreme pro, or will a rtx10 do? What about a quadro fx 540? Or will any mid-level 128MB ATI or nVidia gaming card be able to do the job for me?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: video cards sufficient for real time editing?
on Dec 18, 2005 at 4:23:42 am

As a long-time RT.X100 owner and previously an RT2000 and Rainbow Runner owner, I definitely recommend the RT.X100. It will give you lots of real-time effects, including some you might not be thinking about, like real-time color correction. Since I often shoot with 3 cameras, I color correct my primary camera and then color match the other two to it. This allows me to transition between cameras without disturbing color shifts.

You'll also get real-time video previews out the including analog BOB. I have mine connected to a Sharp LCD television monitor and can easily switch between 4:3 and 16:9 views, depending on the aspect ratio of the current project.

The one priviso is to follow Matrox's hardware recommendations precisely. Not all motherboards and chipsets are built to the PCI spec. Using non-approved hardware usually results in dropped frames and lockups.

Return to posts index

grnarrow
on Dec 18, 2005 at 1:38:17 pm

Hmm, color correction is a good point. In thinking more about what I want to be able to do, I realized I'm also going to be doing a lot of shrinking of footage (shrinking computer screen recordings to fit within the title safe area).

Is the rt.x10 unable to handle real time color correction and altering the size of the image area? What about the Quadro line? I was already pretty sure the rt.x100 could handle all this, but I'm hoping to find a cheaper solution that is adequate. I'm willing to put up with occassional dropped frames in the preview, but I don't want stuttering or jumping previews.

Oh, and I probably should have pointed out in my first post, this would all be standard definition, NTSC video.

Thanks for all input!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 18, 2005 at 10:40:19 pm

Yes, it can shrink footage, do picture-in-picture, and lots of other effects.

To do my 3-camera edits, I shrink each timeline 50% and move them so all 3 videos are visible. If I wanted to present this, though, I would have to render. Two video streams work in realtime. After I align the three tracks, I do my cutting and move the selected clips to the main track and restore the size and position. Then I can fine-tune the edits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]