FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody using RAID 1?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grnarrow
Anybody using RAID 1?
on Dec 18, 2005 at 12:02:18 am

I see lots of web sites recommend using RAID 0 in an NLE system for the increased speed, and I see people saying SATA drives are more than fast enough for video editing making RAID 0 useless.

But what I'm interested in is protecting my data, so I'm thinking about setting up a system using RAID 1. I've read that RAID 1, especially using a software controller, has a slight speed loss for some functions. Is anyone using RAID 1 in an NLE setup, or have any experience or expertise that would suggest it would be bad to use RAID 1?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Anybody using RAID 1?
on Dec 18, 2005 at 11:50:33 pm

if your goal is redundancy, go with a RAID5 set up. That gives you the speed of RAID ) together with RAID1 mirroring.

Gary

Return to posts index

grnarrow
on Dec 19, 2005 at 2:50:31 am

I've read only a little about RAID 5, but if I recall correctly it requires an expensive hardware controller, and it uses some of the cpu power to calculate parity bits. But what that means compared to the speed increase from having multiple striped drives I don't know.

So, is anyone using a RAID 5 setup?

But what I'm really wondering is -- is RAID 1 with SATA, even though it may have some performance loss over a single drive, sufficiently fast for editing SD video?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:41:01 am

RAID 1 or a single drive is fast enough to capture video until you start dropping frames and then you will realize why EVERYONE uses a RAID 0 setup. (maybe a few use RAID 5 for ultra important work w/ no backup tape)

FYI regard your other post PP 1.5 doesn't care what video card you use... as long has it has 128Meg or higher. Do yourself a favor: buy a dual head video card. And the realtime PREVIEW is not the same thing as realtime effects output. You still need to render before exporting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]