FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Hard Drives to use?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Riemer
Which Hard Drives to use?
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:27:57 am

Hello I hope you can help me choose which config to use for my HD set up

I am relativly new to video editing but I am slowly building up my PC to make it a more video editing friendly machine.

Here is what I have currently installed.
An old 5400rpm 5 GB drive that my XP Pro is installed on.
A 7200rpm 2mb 40Gb drive.

I just bought a 250 Maxtor 7200RPM 16mb Cache and an external HD Case with USB 2.0 -Firewire Connections

I want to be able to swap the external drive between my Laptop and Video editing PC.

What configuration should I do, if I want to have a designated Video HD. Why exactly do I want this anyways? is it just for space or do other program bog the drive down?

Is having my OS on the 5400 spin drive a bad thing for Editing? Should I use my 40GB in the external and use the 250 with a partition for the OS? That way I have everything on the faster 16mb Drive.

I want to use the external so I can move my music library and other files between comps I wouldn't be doing any editing on my laptop.

What are you thoughts?

Thx

-Switch

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Which Hard Drives to use?
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:29:36 pm

get rid of the ancient 5 gb drive. it has got to be slow as molasses compared to your 40GB 7200 RPM drive. Use the 40 as your new boot drive and the 250 for video.

gary

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:35:35 pm

Others may give you different specs... better than my suggestion.
I assume when you wrote HD (in your 1st line).. it stands for Hard Drive and not High-Def.

OS hard drive: 7200-15k rpm 70-120GB SATA or SATA II
Video drives: RAID 0 2 drives 7200+ RPM (all internal) You decide the gig space you want but I suspect you'll buy 2 200-250GB SATA HDs.

(you can use PATA, but why would you buy them new since they are being phased out by MOBO makers.)

External HD for music if you want (also can have one as internal)

side note: I am not sure what your PC is and what software you plan to use.. but you probably want a 3GHz CPU and 1-2 Gig of RAM.

Return to posts index

Eric Riemer
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:58:18 pm

I was thinking the 40GB for my Boot Drive but The problem is, I still want to be able to use my External Drive for both Computers. If I use the 250 as an external I will still want to place other files on it (ie Music, pict, various others) Can I Partition off say 50gigs or so, then leave the other 200 for dedicated Video or will that slow things up?

Thx

Return to posts index

Eric Riemer
on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:29:51 pm

I just had another thought, Could I use my old 5GB HD for a designated Pagefile drive or will the slow RPM be a hindrance?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:40:03 pm

as video guy said: toss it.

or use it as storage. I do not suggest you use it as an active part of your system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]