FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I make any changes?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DanaH
Should I make any changes?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 11:59:56 pm

I ordered a new computer before I found your informative site, now I'm second guessing myself, and I only have 2 weeks left to decide to keep it or exchange it. I knew I needed a fast system to do the analog to digital conversion of VHS tapes and video editing to burn to DVD, so I opted for a 3.0 GHz Pentium dual core. I did not get the Extreme Edition with the hyper-threading because it cost five times as much and I wasn’t sure I needed it. I would like to have had the faster 3.2 GHz processor, but I couldn’t see paying twice as much for .2 difference. I got 2 GB RAM on two chips (667MHz), and two 80GB 10,000 RPM SATA hard drives RAID striped with Native Command Queing (whatever that is.) I knew the 160GB wasn’t that big for video files, but that was as big a drive as I could get at 10,000 RPM which I thought would be better since it’s the slowness of the hard drive that causes bottlenecks. I didn’t find out until after I had ordered my system that it is best to have the operating system on a separate drive from where the streamed files will be written. So then I wonder if I should buy a separate small hard drive for the system files and stream to the RAID striped drives although 160 GB isn't that much space, or for half the money, should I exchange the 10,000 RPM striped drives for 2x160GB RAID0 drives at 7200RPM. Or would it be adequate to keep the 10,000 RPM RAID striped drives for the system files and video editing (not buying the separate system drive) and use my 7200RPM, 300GB Western Digital external USB/Firewire drive to hold the huge streamed files? If the latter, have I totally wasted the extra money I spent on the faster 10,000 RPM RAID0 drives?

I think I understand about streaming and fast sustained throughput being important, but after I get the large avi files, what is needed for the actual editing? Should I move a portion of the files back from the external drive, or will the editing process pull the files off as needed from the external drive? I've bought Adobe Premiere Elements and will use either a digital camcorder or the 256MB PCI Expressx16 nVidia GeForce 6800 video card for the analog to digital conversion (whichever is better?) I've never done this before and don't know how to get everything set up so as to get this job of editing 100+ hours of tape done efficiently and quickly. Thanks for your input--and for this terrific forum for expert advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]