DIY 4 ?
i was just wondering what the estimated time of arrival for the DIY 4 article would be? i've read "by year's end" and have been drooling for the past few weeks waiting for it. is that likely to happen?
and in its absence, has anyone built their own dual core system? i'd be curious to see any specs and comments.
Yes, I agree! I'm waiting for this too.
Does anyone know which NLE software utilizes dual core cpus as of this time?
I'm also eagerly (but not too patiently ) waiting for the DIY4. I'm planning out my first NLE system, and really want to hear about people's experiences with dual core systems, especially Athlon X2 systems.
It would be really great if some web site would do benchmarks of different systems using a small video clip that is used over and over in a Premiere Pro project with lots of different transitions and effects applied (and make the clip and project file publicly available). Then maybe we could see some meaningful discussion of how different system components effect rendering time and whatnot, or how video cards effect smooth playback of previews, etc.
Seasons Greetings to all,
I am also curious if this information will be available soon. I've done a lot of reading and am ready to order parts before year-end. Using the current DIY info, so far I've decided on a dual Xeon 3.2, Tyan Tiger s2726, Matrox APVE, etc.
Any estimates on the article's release?
I've built a dual-core system for those interested. Honestly, I haven't "stressed" the system yet. Trying to learn LE6 coming from a Canopus and Premiere setup. Have Rex-M1 and had Storm. The Storm card looks like the firewire port as failed, hence the new LE6 system.
Anyways, my home built system is as follows:
Standard Mid-Tower Case, Antec 450watt power supply.
power cable adapter from 20pin to 24 pin.
Abit A8N-SLI motherboard
AMD-64 X2 4200+
4 x Kingston DDR3200 512MB Ram (Total 2GB RAM)
2 x XFX6600LE video cards (256MB each) in standard mode. (heard SLI does not support dual monitors yet)
2 x Samsung 930B LCDs (19" LCDs, native resolution of 1280x1024)
120GB WD drive for OS (Windows XP)
250GB Samsung drive (scratch/render drive)
400GB Seagate drive (video/media files. Note: Seagate's 400GB drives only have 3 platters so they run cooler than WD or Maxtor drives)
Pioneer A09 DVD +/-RW
Pinnacle LE6 Pro (waiting to hear back on how to get my "free" upgrade to Avid Liquid 7)
All I've done is worked with media already on my network. Haven't even tried to do a capture from camcorder or analog yet. What little editing I've done seems reasonably fast. I haven't had any lockups or crashes in any apps. This was a clean build and install specifically for video/photo editing.
Hope this was helpful.
I am using a dual core with Premiere Pro 1.5
It has been solid and crash free.
Doesn't seem to be a lot of price difference between dual core and dual xeon. Gonna let the "multi-core" technology mature.
Here's the latest wishlist...
Tyan Thunder i7525 (S2676) Motherboard
Antec Titan 550 Case
2x INTEL Xeon 3.0 GHz processor (Irwindale) 2mg L2
2x KINGSTON DDR2 400 3200 1g ram, ECC registered
Matrox Parhelia APVe PCIe 128mg display card w/breakout cable
3ware 9550SX PCI-X SATA II RAID controller
2x Western Digital Raptor 10k System/Pagefile Drives
2x Seagate Barracuda 250g 7200 Hard Drives
Pioneer DVR-R100 IDE DL DVD burner
Win XP Professional - Premiere Pro 1.5
Still not sure whether I got the right case.
Any comments, suggestions are always appreciated !!!!
Thanks for the replies and specs- I was hoping maybe a Videoguy might give us a rough ETA for DIY 4, but no luck on that front.
In its absence, 3 questions about dual core systems and NLE programs:
1) It seems that Vegas software is the only NLE that currently takes advantage of the dual core processor- is that correct, or have i missed something with Avid, FCP, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc ? In addition, Avid doesn't list any dual core machines (Intel or AMD based) as "certified" on its site. I will not be gaming- and short of 64 bit Windows Vista coming out a long time from now- what is the advantage of having dual core and/or 64-bit mobos if you will be primarily video/audio editing on NLEs and DAWs (which don't support those features) ? i know "future-proofing" is relevant, but i am curious about "now"- since i can buy a compatible mobo now and then just switch in a dual core processor later (=cheaper), correct?
2) I was interested in sticking with Intel processors, but all i hear about is "how hot" the dual core Intels get. Anyone have a stable NLE system running with the new Intel dual core processors ?
3) Specifically in reference to HDV: I was especially concerned with the audio MPEG 2 compression (on the Sony cams)- even at a bit rate of 384 kbps. Without entering the technical realm of compression algorithms, I was wondering if anyone had actually gone through a decompression and recompression editing process with audio from the HDV camera. If so, how much (subjectively/objectively) is lost through the first generation?
I am interested particularly in what audio edits were done and with what corresponding loss- simple cuts and crossfades, EQ adjustments, noise/hum reduction, etc... the most common post production audio work.
Since each NLE seems to handle this problem (using a compressed format for postproduction editing) in a different way, ANY insights from various programs would be much appreciated. I know Adobe Premiere, along with Cineform Intermediate, uses an intermediate codec that supposedly allows essentially lossless editing after the first generation. Avid has its own codec which is less transparent but they say is "robust" enough to allow for editing composites and effects without noticeable decay. FCP seems to have a similar "transcoding" solution. This aspect of the workflow- maintaining the integrity of the source material (especially its audio) through edits- will probably be my deciding factor in choosing an NLE.
that was long. thanks for any info anyone might have. i've already shot over 40 hours of a documentary on the Sony HDV cam using high quality mics, and now am thinking it was overkill if my audio is just going to be sub-par MP3 (MP2 actually!) quality anyway- then to be degraded further by even the most basic editing cuts, EQ effects, and noise removal !!!!
rwatts, just today I gave up using my Abit AN8 Ultra system for LE6 Pro because BOB will not install. I have already ordered the parts for building a dual-core Intel system. In my case I was using an Opteron 175 but I have grown frustrated with the nForce4 chipset and the lousy layouts they have with chipset fans and whatnot. Glad to see you have success with your system.
I believe you might have missed your chance to upgrade to Avid 7 for free. I only knew about the process by constantly checking the videoguys site.
Within days of submitting the fax, I received the upgrade but it had to be done by the 15th of this month. Sorry.
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the AN8 board. I just started digitizing some tapes. Used the scene detect function. So far, all seems well. Imported about 28 minutes (12 clips). Over the next few days, I cut a wedding which was recorded with 3 camcorders on about 9 miniDV tapes, we'll see how it goes.
If I run into any problems, I'll just go back to the "slow" but trustworthy Canopus Rex-M1.
Thanks for the info on the upgrade. Guess I missed my chance. Sort of disappointing that the "Customer" was expected to keep an eye on the web site for the upgrade info. And, there was only a 2 week window to get the free upgrade. I didn't get any email or written correspondence in regards to the upgrade procedures.
The only email I saw was an information/newsletter stating that the upgrades should start to be mailed out 2nd week of Dec due to the volume. Which I took to mean that everyone should be getting their copy sent to them. Nothing in the original package, invoice or packing slip stating that I had to locate an upgrade form "somewhere" on the web site, complete and return this form by the 15th of Dec to qualify.
Oh well, live and learn. Now I have to see how much more it's going to cost to get to Avid Liquid. If only I had known how close the L-7 release was, I would have just waited.
Edit: I've ordered the upgrade from Videoguys. Hopefully, the upgrade will install and work.