FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Liquid 7 is here!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
Avid Liquid 7 is here!!
on Dec 3, 2005 at 6:13:13 pm

As you know we’ve been big fans of Liquid Edition, going back to the first time we saw it. (Back when it was made by Fast). So this product has very deep roots in the industry - from Fast, to Pinnacle and now to Avid. I’m very impressed with how fast Avid has been able to not only release a new version, but re-brand the product as Avid Liquid. This tells me that this is just the tip of the iceberg, you’re going to see Liquid get even more powerful and feature rich down the road!

There are three big new features in Avid Liquid.
# The first is SmartSound integration. SmartSound is a very cool soundtrack creation tool that lets you create custom soundtracks that fit your video perfectly!
# The second hot new feature is the ability to edit multimedia video files (ie WM9, DivX and MPEG-4) for output on the internet. Not having to go back to the original source footage and then encode the entire project again is going to save you tons of time!
# The third new feature is the one I like the best. Over 60+ new effects. Avid has gone back into the Pinnacle vault and resurrected some of my favorite Commotion effects and integrated them into Liquid. They’ve also made the Liquid Time Warp into a real-time effect!

Avid Liquid is a fully integrated application that gives you everything you need to edit and produce your video! Fantastic real-time 2D & 3D special effects and filters, outstanding color correction with your choice of quick and simple or highly sophisticated toolsets, native HDV support for both 720p and 1080i footage, background processing which means you NEVER have to stop editing while you wait for renders, Liquid saves your work automatically for you while your working plus DVD authoring and burning directly form the timeline. You simply can’t find a more powerful, feature rich, stable and productive solution for the money. Avid Liquid is one fantastic value!!

Avid Liquid is available in three flavors:
# Avid Liquid software only for $479.95
# Avid Liquid Pro $949.95 Includes the “Robert” professional breakout box. This gives you all the I/O you could ever want – including component video – plus real-time output directly from the timeline while you edit.
# Owners Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premiere (any versions) can upgrade to Avid Liquid Pro for just $679.95
#Owners of Liquid Edition (any versions) can upgrade to Avid Liquid Pro for just $479.95 after $200 Mail-In Rebate

We also offer the Liquid Edition (all flavors) to Avid Liquid 7 software upgrade for $199.95. We have a tremendous backlog of these upgrades on order and we are processing them as fast as we can. We hope to have them all shipped out by early next week.

For more info and to order Avid Liquid 7 click here http://www.videoguys.com/avidliquid.html

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Avid Liquid 7 is here!!
on Dec 8, 2005 at 7:40:46 pm

Videoguy Interview: Tim Wilson of Avid tells all about Avid Liquid 7

Tim Wilson is a long time friend of the Videoguys and the senior product-marketing manager at Avid for both the Avid Xpress family and the brand new Avid Liquid 7. In this interview Tim tells us why Avid management is so excited about Liquid and what makes it so special for digital videographers. Here is just a sample of what he has to say:

“Gary, you’ve been talking to me about Liquid for as long as I’ve known you, and some of the features you’ve been most excited about – thousands of real-time GPU-accelerated effects, background rendering, instant auto-save updated 30 times a second, 5.1 audio mixing, and DVD authoring directly from the editing timeline – are exactly the same ones that excite us at Avid”.

“Avid Liquid is unique: video, surround audio, DVD, and effects in one application. Not one application for each of those tasks – one application that does it all. Nobody else can say that."

“Who is Liquid designed for? Someone looking for cutting-edge technology wrapped in a single, cost-effective, easy-to-use application!”

“Liquid 7 also includes over 50 new filters formerly part of the highly regarded Commotion compositing package. They cover a wide range of effects
categories, and like all Liquid effects, they render in the background so you never have to stop editing. You don’t even slow down.”

Check out our interview with Tim http://www.videoguys.com/videoguy_liquid.html

Gary

Return to posts index

garoliver
Upgrade to Avid Liquid pro 7
on Dec 12, 2005 at 5:26:11 pm

Hi,
I'm a bit confused with the different upgade offers.
I already have Pinnacle Liquid Edition Pro 6.1 with the I/O box.
Is it possible to upgade to Avid Liquid Pro 7 but without the I/O box since I already have it? What would be the price and which package to select?

garoliver

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 13, 2005 at 1:41:26 am

Good News! You can upgrade the software only for $199.95. The LE6.1 breakout box is the same unit offered with AL7, only it now says Avid instead of Pinnacle Wink

Gary

Return to posts index

pjpfuchs
Is the US version of Liquid 7 Pro compatible with PAL?
on Dec 13, 2005 at 7:13:53 am

Hi,

My question may sound silly in the context of an "all software" NLE system - but bear with me, I come from the older hardware-boosted NLE (I have a Pinnacle Pro-ONE card) where some cards sold in the US lacked the capability of handling PAL - I read this on the Pinnacle France web site.

Before ordering an upgrade to Liquid 7 Pro from the Videoguys, I'd better be 100% sure that I will encounter no limitation since all my video gear is in PAL.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:31:11 pm

excellent question. The Liquid Pro BOB is both NTSC & PAL.

Gary

Return to posts index

garoliver
Upgrade to Avid Liquid pro 7
on Dec 13, 2005 at 5:12:25 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply about the upgrade from LE Pro 6.1

I had a look at the different upgade offers and the one for $199 just mentions Avid Liquid 7. Does that mean that the only difference between the standard version and the PRO version is the "Robert" box?

I just want to make sure that with the software upgrade for $199 I get all the benifits as the PRO version.

Return to posts index

Rick Watts
on Dec 14, 2005 at 8:07:06 pm

Related to the upgrades, I purchased LE6 a few weeks ago from Videoguys (with free updgrade to Avid Liquid).

Does the free upgrade also come from the Videoguys? Or, do I have to complete some form or request?

Thanks!

Rick

Return to posts index

Rob Roy
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:01:21 pm

Confused Does "AVID" Liquid edition 7 support 24p????

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:44:27 pm

Unfortunately Liquid does NOT currently support 24P. It is one of the top feature requests, and I do think we will see it added in the future.

For 24P work my top 3 recommendations are:

1) Avid Xpress Pro
2) Sony Vegas
3) Premiere Pro 2.0

If you are a digital filmmmaker, I think you should really look into Avid. Avid is the tool used by hollywood to cut films. Xpress pro has very sophistaicated film tools in it tha go far beyone those offered in other NLEs.

Script Based Editing

I’m not an independent filmmaker, but I love independent films. I can really appreciate all the work and effort it takes to shoot, edit and produce an independent film. So does Avid. The Script based editing tools is a feature that makes Xpress Pro the clear choice for feature work. Avid script based editing tool keeps track of all your takes for each scene and allows you to trim and cut them together while viewing the actual script. This tool alone can save you countless hours and will result in the best possible edits for your masterpiece.

Gary

Return to posts index

Rob Roy
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:53:48 pm

Smile Thanx; I curently own Premiere Pro 2.0.

So AVID XPRESS is better than PPR2.0 for film making?

I do shorts and just finished a feature film in Premiere Pro 1.5, then just got PPro 2.0 this week....I should be moving towards AVID XPRESS PRO.?

What is better thsn PPRO 2.0 in AVID Xpress?
Hollywood cuts films on the much more expensive AVID/hardware based systems, not the Sub thousand doller NLE packages, like Xpress, don't they?

Return to posts index

sjordan93436
on Feb 7, 2006 at 6:22:37 pm

Avid 7. Is it safe to go into the water? IOW, is Avid 7 a stable, usable product? Uninstall LE 6 and fresh install?

Return to posts index

John Applegate
Preliminary thoughts with AL7
on Feb 10, 2006 at 9:59:19 pm

Hi there,

I would recommend that you wait until 7.1 comes out. I have just started using AL7 (upgrading from Studio 10) and there are a couple of bugs that I have run into already. The first: The smartsound feature has some issues. The second is bizarre behavior when recording to tape. I have worked my way through ~1/3 of the user guide tutorials but have yet to create a full project. These observations are probably a harbinger of more issues. Both of the issues that I observed are known in the AL7 community. Create an account and log on to:

http://www.stoneacres.org/mantis/login_page.php?return=%2Fmantis%2Fview_all...

This bug list is about the closest thing that I can find to an issues database for AL7. It should provide some visibility.... Note that most of the contributers are former AL6 users- so the comments there might be useful in your decision making process..

I do like AL7 more that Studio, but it needs a little work yet

If you are interested, I have been tracking my quest for an NLE upgrade in the thread titled :"Curious but gun shy in trying LE7" under the Video Editing Forum. I will be posting my experiences with LE7 to Studio users and others thinking about making the jump....

Regards

Return to posts index

sjordan93436
on Feb 14, 2006 at 2:13:16 pm

I was curious. There is a service pack 1 out. SP2 is coming very soon. Video editing installs can be tricky.

Return to posts index

John Applegate
SP1 --> SP2 --> 7.1
on Feb 14, 2006 at 3:23:54 pm

SP1 is out. I have installed it, but it does not address the issues that I've run into. SP2 is due out on the 16th if I am reading Jim Thills post correctly on the Avid Boards. (See http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/46905/ShowPost.aspx). There is another post there indicating that 7.1 will follow SP2 at some point farther down the road.

I am fairly confident that Avid will make this right given size of the user base Jim Hills comments, and the need to bring the liquid folks into the fold. That being said if you are using LE 6.1 in a production setting and are happy with it, you may wish to wait until 7.1 before migrating your 6.1 projects.

Return to posts index

Steven
on Mar 23, 2006 at 7:33:28 am

Hi,

I had a Sony Camcorder. It uses DVCAM codec.
I want to purchase a Avid Liquid Pro 7 to edit my movie, but when I read Avid Liquid Tech Specs,I saw:
Native capture (IEEE1394): DV/DVCPRO 25, MPEG2 IBP (MP@ML/HL), HDV
(http://www.avid.com/products/liquid/techspecs.asp)

I see NO DVCAM.

So I don't know If I purchase Avid Liquid Pro 7, can I connect my Sony Camcorder with Avid Liquid Pro 7's breakout box via IEEE-1394 and capture my video on my hard disk?

Pls. let me know. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Mar 23, 2006 at 7:57:13 am

I believe you will be just fine.

Return to posts index

John Applegate
Codec Presets in Liquid
on Mar 24, 2006 at 2:42:23 am

Hello Steven,

A quick search on Wikipedia reveals that the term "DVCAM" relates to the physical form factor and track specification of the tape cassette itself and not to a Codec. Here's the snippet....

DVCAM

Sony's DVCAM is a semiprofessional variant of the DV standard that uses the same cassettes as DV and MiniDV, but transports the tape 50% faster, leading to a higher track width of 15 micrometres. The codec used is the same as DV, but because of the greater track width available to the recorder the data are much more robust, producing 50% less errors known as dropouts. The LP mode of DV is not supported. All DVCAM recorders and cameras can play back DV material, but DVCPRO support was only recently added to some models. DVCAM tapes (or DV tapes recorded in DVCAM mode) have their recording time reduced by one third.
DVCAM is now also available in HD mode.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVCAM#DVCAM. --- Sounds like DVCAM is good thing to have! If it truely is just a cassette specification, then you still have the question of which Codec is being used by your camcorder. Perhaps your owners manual has the details squirreled away somewhere?

As a point of reference, the Codecs enumerated in the Liquid 7 Control panel (on my installation) are as follows:

DV (AVI)
DV (Dif)
DVC PRO 25 (DIF)
DVC PRO 50 (DIF)
DVD (M2V)
1 MPEG-2 422P@ML (M2V)
MPEG-2 MP@HL (M2V)
MPEG-2 MP@ML (M2V)
RGB (AVI)
Uncompressed 2VUY (2VUY)
Uncompressed 2VUY (HD) (2VUY)
Uncomporessed YUV (YUV)

Hope this helps.... If you are still concerned, you may wish to contact Avid Sales and verify this before plopping any coin down....

Regards

John

Return to posts index

Steven
on Mar 25, 2006 at 3:50:38 am

It's very clear, I understood. Thank tesladude for your post.
Steven.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]