FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Find a Capture Card for my Camera

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tr0z
Can't Find a Capture Card for my Camera
by
on Dec 8, 2004 at 10:31:28 pm

hey, i have looked for a capture card for my video camera but haven't found anything. hopefully, someone here can help me.

my camera is a sony handycam vision, video 8 (model no. CCD-TRV32). the camera was given to me and i was told that i could find a cheap capture card. i had one picked out (can't remember the name though) but talked to a guy in the video editing department at my college and he said that i would need something else but didn't know what.

can anybody help? thanks for the help in advance.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Can't Find a Capture Card for my Camera
on Dec 8, 2004 at 11:11:01 pm

Can you describe your goals? For example, do you need to do "blue/green screen", picture-in-picture or special effects, and do you intend to output to DVD or back to tape?

Also, can you describe your computer spec's?

Return to posts index

tr0z
by
on Dec 9, 2004 at 1:57:26 am

of course, sorry about that.

i am making a promotional video for my college that will be shown for recruiting purposes. i also am going to london on a school trip and have to document it in some way because of a scholarship i recieved. i plan on doing a video journal type thing and put it together with other stuff, images or possibly video. the only special effects i need would be transition and text overlay. i would eventually like to mess around in independent film but i don't think i have the money for it.

i am looking for lowest cost but with the best possible product. i plan on putting it on DVD but also thought about using a video cd. i am not sure if i need an editor at this point, i have microsoft movie maker but i realize that it is limited but it is free. for what i am doing there will be little effects, mostly cuts and a few fades. as flashy as i will get is text overlay.

my specs are

p3 2.8 ghz

256 rdram

geforce 2 mx 400 (it hurts)

100 gig hard drive with like 20-25 gig of free space

not sure what mother board i have, don't know what is listed under in device manager

running windows xp with service pack one installed

the two other things i mentioned are periphial, what is my main focus is the school project. it will be shown at high schools and conferences and will need to look really good.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 9, 2004 at 3:59:53 am

You definitely need more hard drive space, preferably a second dedicated video drive. You probably should add at least 256MB of RAM too. The graphics card is fine for video editing.

The really cheap devices capture video that is of no better quality than that of a cheap webcam, so stay away from them. There are some hardware Mpeg 2 encoders that do a good job of digitizing video at a reasonable cost, but Mpeg 2 is not a good choice for editing because the overlays and transitions may have noticeable artifacts that detract from the video quality. Your best choice is one that digitizes the video in the ".avi" format. The least expensive one I know of is the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV version 9 at about $150 US. Canopus makes some highly-regarded video capture cards of which the ADVC-100 is the best known. The least expensive is the ADVC-50 at about $200 US. ADS Tech's Pyro A/V Link at $280 US is also highly regarded. Both the ADVC-50 and Pyro A/V Link require a firewire port for connection to a computer. You may be able to find used ones on ebay or the like. I have not used any of those devices.

I would actually recommend that you look for a good used DV camcorder that is compatible with Windows XP and has a "pass through" mode for use in digitizing analog video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]