COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TJP
Raid Configuration ??
by
on Nov 25, 2005 at 1:06:38 pm

Greetingsjavascript:emoticon('Smile ')
Smile

I'm a newbie to digital video. Thanks in advance for any help.

On the VideoGuys video storage page it says:

For video editing the Videoguys recommend the following RAID storage configuration:

1. SATA Boot drive (40GB or larger)
2. Pair of Identical SATA drives striped in a RAID0 configuration (2 x 120GB = 240GB)
3. (optional) 4th SATA drive (40GB or larger) for back-ups, digital photo library, MP3 library

My motherboard has two IDE ports, with only one in use at the moment. I'm assuming that there is no way around connecting three SATA drives to a motherboard that only has two IDE ports. Is that the case?

If I set up both ports with identical SATA drives (one as boot drive, one for video) what would RAID configuration do to them? Will my performance be better than having a single hard drive? If I do not utilise RAID configuration, will my computer be able to handle digital video (as it currently doesn't). Smile

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
Re: Raid Configuration ??
on Nov 25, 2005 at 3:54:03 pm

SATA drives cannot be attached to IDE ports. Two totally different types of connections. SATA drives are slowly replacing IDE drives. Essentially the same hard drive but different types of connections. The minium setup you need to edit video is one boot drive and another drive for captured clips only. And this should not be in a RAID setup. Video Guys does not recommend including your boot drive in the RAID setup. In order to RAID, you need two or more drives with the same amount of gigabyte space for captured clips ONLY. And yes, having another drive dedicated to video capture does improve performance. If you use one drive to boot form and capture video to, you will probaly get dropped frames during capture because Windows OS will need to access that drive for something. Capturing video is an intensive process and requires a dedicated hard drive. And be sure to disable all programs running in the background, including virus checking programs and Windows update. Please feel free to ask more questions about this to get different takes on it. IMHO, a RAID setup is not required to get started editing digital video. All you need is two hard rives, one to boot from, and one for capturing video clips. But as you progress and your editing projects grow, a RAID setup will improve your editing experience.

Return to posts index

TJP
by
on Nov 26, 2005 at 6:57:18 am

ge_toe_video: your reply has me a little confused.

My hard drive is apparently a SATA drive. It is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. The model code is: 6Y200MO.

However it is connected to my primary IDE port via a 'ribbon' style cable (my computer was assembled by the guys I bought it from). At the moment the two red SATA ports on my motherboard are free.

If my hard drive is what it was supposed to be (the lack of a SATA cable has me worried) would you suggest connecting it to a SATA port and getting a second SATA drive for the second port?

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 26, 2005 at 3:46:50 pm

So this hardrive can be used as sata as well as ide? I didn't know they existed. I apologize for my ignorance on this one. What is your current setup and model of MOBO? I am assuming that it has two ide ports and two SATA ports, correct? I am not sure how much of a performance gain you will get with using sata drive versus an ide drive. I do know that SATA drives are supposed to be faster than IDE ones, but by how much I don't know. Anyways, I have read specs in which a person uses SATA drives for boot and caprture, and uses IDE drives for backup only. So they utilize the SATA drives for the pefromance edge and the IDE drives for storage where speed is not as Important. You could use the two SATA ports for boot and capture, and the IDE for storage of video and audio files.

Return to posts index

TJP
by
on Nov 27, 2005 at 5:07:41 am

As it turns out I think i inavertantly fit my computer with the ATA equivalent of the 6Y200MO, the 6Y200PO. They both run at 7200RPM but the ATA model has a transfer rate 17MB/sec slower Than the SATA. I don't know how that happened, I probably overlooked that when I bought it. Surprised ops:

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 (I have an AMD64 3000+ processor) and yes it does have two IDE and two SATA ports.

The point I'm getting at is that I can't get NLE programs to stop generating error reports and shutting down. Either Windows movie maker and Pinnacle Studio Plus v9.4 continually crash when you click on movie clips or even playback my unfinished project.

I've defragged my hard drive, got the latest drivers, my graphics card is fully DirectX9.0c compatible and all that, but the problem remains. So pinnacle help tells me that real editing computers use multiple hard drives because digital video is such a memory intensive business.

My question is will having two hard drives fix this problem I'm having?

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 28, 2005 at 12:03:58 am

It sounds like adding another hard drive may solve your problem. But the only way to know for sure is to try it. It won't hurt you because having one hard dedicated for video capture is the ideal setup for editing. So if you add the other hard drive and you still have problems, at least you can rule out the problem being using only one hard drive. I do know that using only one hard drive for your OS and video capture can cause dropped frames. So causing error messages and shut downs is very possible as well. It doesn't matter if you use SATA or IDE drives. Either one works for video editing. So add another hard drive and see how that goes. I will be glad to help you any way I can. Video editing is cool but it ain't easy! BTW, if you are suing an IDE drive now, it is best if you add another IDE drive, and vice versa if you are using SATA now. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. Happy Holidays!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]