FORUMS: list search recent posts

64 MB or 128 MB video card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ge_toe_video
64 MB or 128 MB video card?
on Nov 21, 2005 at 3:31:36 pm

What difference in performance is there between a 64MB video card and one with 128MB? Also, I have heard that a video card does not decrease rendering times. So other than allowing you to hook up a monitor, what does a good video card, such as the Quadro line, do for video editing?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: 64 MB or 128 MB video card?
on Nov 21, 2005 at 9:29:19 pm

This is a very good question. The answer actually depends on what video editing software you plan on using.

Vegas Video gets no beenfit at all from the graphics card. 64 Meg is more than enough

Premiere does not take advatage of graphics card (yet) after effects does - and it will more in the future.

Avid has a set of real-time effects which require an Open GL card like the Quadra. Avid also recommends a 128 meg graphic card.

Liquid takes full advantage of GPU power. In fact for HDV editing the graphics card is as important as overall CPU speed. Interestingly - Liquid gets more bang from ATI based cards. For full HDV editing you'll want 256 megs of ram.

Hope this helps,
Gary

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 21, 2005 at 11:21:53 pm

Ignore this post. Submitted this by mistake.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 21, 2005 at 11:23:04 pm

I am using Premiere Pro 1 and After Effects. I plan to use my new system for
for editing church events for members to enjoy and to make some side money from customers with low to mid range needs. Do I need PCI Express or will an AGP 8x card suffice? And do I need the Quadro line of cards or will a less expensive card be enough?

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 2:45:34 pm

Come on guys, I need more input. I am trying to keep this as close to $1,000 or a little over as I can. Do I need to spend $230 on the Quadro FX 540 or buy one less expensive and spend the money on good RAM?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 23, 2005 at 6:23:17 pm

The 540 is a good choice. You'll be bale to preview from P Pro on a tv with the breakout box. If you edit HD, you'll get HD previews.

Gary

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 8:27:56 pm

Thanks Gary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]