FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building an editing PC.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ge_toe_video
Building an editing PC.
on Nov 21, 2005 at 1:42:34 am

Here is one possible hardware scenario:

ASYS CK-1026-9B Steel Case w/ Side air duct.
MSI 925XE Neo-Platinum 54 G MOBO
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB LGA 775 2MB Cache Processor
Kingston ValueRam 2GB (2x1 GB) DDR2 533
Thermaltake HSF
Enermax Whisper ll 535 watt PSU
PNY GeForce 6600 128MB video card
Plextor PX 712-A DVD burner
WD Caviar 80 GB System Drvie
WD Caviar 250 GB Video Drive
Windows XP Pro
Adobe Premiere 1
Adobe After Effects 5.5 PB
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

Have a question about RAM. Since I will not be using a Pentium 4 EE, thereby only utilizing 800 MHz of MOBO FSB can I use DDR2 400 MHz RAM instead of DDR2 533 MHz RAM? Or does it matter? I am thinking of the rule of using RAM with 1/2 the MHz of your MOBO's FSB. Also, is the 925 chipset necessary for editing or is an earlier one adequate? Should I use an AGP or PCIE video card? Since the future is going with PCI express, I suppose I should go that way. I also thought about using the two IDE drives I am currently using but I hear SATA will soon replace IDE. Is the 485 watt PSU enough or would more watts be better? Might add another DVD burner. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Building an editing PC.
on Nov 21, 2005 at 2:35:45 am

I suggest a 955 or 945 chipset. SOOOOO if you purchase a dual core CPU or a P4 EE CPU for cheap.. you don't have to purchase a new MOBO.

and yes about your other question 800/400, but I am an over kill guy for RAM, since it doesn't cost much more and helps when I overclock it. Why not get 667 or 533. Don't forget to look for low latency.

make sure your power supply has 18A or more under the 12v listing. Any CPU over 3.0 GHz uses alot of Amps.

My thermaltake CPU cooler works great. I run around 46-50 unless I push my CPU.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 21, 2005 at 2:40:16 am

Thanks Lee. What is a low latency #, 3 or 2 ? I can't find any DDR2 667 RAM with 2 latency, can only find a CAS of 3 or more.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 21, 2005 at 1:51:46 pm

Just the lowest you can find. I think mine is 3.. see what the 533 lowest latency is... If they have a 2 or 3 then they are good too.
Important note: be sure to check your BIOS to verify it is setting the latency correcty. I had to set mine in BIOS. (plus set the voltage)

Oh I forgot. If you plan to purchase new hard drives... only get SATA drives. If you want to use your existing IDE drives.. then go for it. I am personally reusing my existing IDE HDs until may of next year.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 21, 2005 at 2:05:01 pm

Thanks again Lee. I found some Kingston ValuRam that the MSI board would like as well as my budget, but the latency is 4.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 2:51:27 pm

Any more thoughts on the specs above? I really need the input to make an informed decision. I will be putting this system to good use for my church.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:02:02 pm

You mentioned a 250Gig Drive... I assume you plan to RAID 2+ drives for your video files. (the only way to go)

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:18:45 pm

Just curious... why is RAID the only way to go? I like my configuration which consists of 4 internal 250GB drives (1 boot drive, 2 for music storage and 1 for video) and 3 250GB external drives which store the bulk of my scratch video.

Am I missing out on something extremely beneficial by not using externals as music storage and RAIDing internals? I don't fully grasp the entire concept.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:36:27 pm

I am less concerned about RAID and more concerned about how the setup components will work togehter. After I get it up and running and see how it performs, I may look into a RAID setup. I need to know which type of Video Card will be good to start with, a Quadro or GEforce 660 or something simliar. Do I need a workstation card or will a non workstation one be allright? I am looking to decrease my rendering and enncoding times when making avi files and burning DVD's. (My current system is sloowww. The MOBO only has 200 MHz FSB and the CPU is only 1.4 GHZ.) I am settled with the CPU but am unsure about the MOBO and Video card for my new system. The only thing I have heard about how Premiere Pro utiilizes a video card is the Open GL support. As far as I know, the video card wil not affect rendering times. Will it help with viewing clips with transitions in real time? My current slow system has real trouble when playing clips with just dissolves. And forget smooth anyhting when exporting out to tape or using the timeline.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:39:09 pm

In short. If you do not RAID your drives you have a chance of getting dropped frames when you capture your video.
If you are recording a live event to the computer... you will be living on the edge if you don't RAID. UNLESS you have something live DV Rack. Which is designed to capture to a single external firewire or USB 2.0 drive.

Recording audio files wil not require a RAID.

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:44:53 pm

Like I said in my previous post, I am not concerned with RAID right now. I will keep in mind your thoughts on RAID. Any thoughts on a MOBO and video card? Is the 915 chipset ok or do I need the 925? I am looking to get a fast system that will last me a few years. Not really concerned about being future proof, I just want a system that won't take literally ten hours to render a 30 minute clip to an avi file or 3 hours to burn an hour long DVD. Sad
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 23, 2005 at 4:07:45 pm

I previously suggested the 945 or 955 chipset. But if you want the 925 or 915... whatever you want based on your budget. They will all technically work. Just research the difference in what the chipsets/ MOBOs offer.
If you are on a budget... AMD based systems are usually cheaper. (depending what you are looking for)

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 23, 2005 at 8:24:23 pm

Thanks Lee. All the choices out there are confusing the crap out of me but the input definitely helps me to decide.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 24, 2005 at 4:49:18 pm

raids are good for the video, but do not set up a raid for your OS / system drive. Lots of good storage tips here http://www.videoguys.com/techstorage.htm

Dual-core is coming, but not here yet. Our nexy DIY machine will be dual core (still early in the project - hopefully get it done and posteed by year end). In case you skipped it, we've got lots of good info on our systems recommendation page http://www.videoguys.com/system.htm

Final thoughts: If you are going to go cutting edge with a dual-core system, make sure you put in all top notch components. At least 2 GB of RAM, a 450+ WATT power supply, tons of cooling and lotsa of storage.

Gary

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 24, 2005 at 5:28:07 pm

Thanks video guy. How much faster is a dual core setup compared to a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz w/a 2MB cache? And is a 915 chipset setup slower than a 925? I am looking to build a system that is reasonably fast with Premiere Pro 1 but doesn't have to be the fastest one out there. So I am looking at the fastest, most stable system I can build for around $1200. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 24, 2005 at 6:57:46 pm

In reviewing this thread I think your best bet is to follow our DIY 2 guide. http://www.videoguys.com/DIY2.html

The ASUS P5AD2-E is a proven mobo. Not only did we give it top marks, so did Tom's Hardware, Maximum PC and just about every tech mag / site we could find.

In our update to teh DIY 1 article http://www.videoguys.com/DIY1.html we actually spec out a $1,000 system using the DIY2 core, cost reduced to hit the budget.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]