FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Bang for the Buck

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cincyjack
Best Bang for the Buck
on Nov 20, 2005 at 4:27:28 pm

I've used my DV-REX M1 for hobby use (purchased fro VBdeoguys, natch) and also purchased Edius 2.0. I like Edius.

I am getting a system together for work, to make short instructional videos for the most part, and now I'm a bit confused about what is the best deal for my somewhat limited budget (roughly 3 grand). I don't forsee the need to do HD any time soon; this will be either web stuff or DVDs. I can see that the ability to convert analogue to DV might be useful.

I think what I want is the ACEDVio and Adobe bundle. Adobe Encore is the only DVD authoring tool I've had good luck with. The package is $549.

The ACEDVio and Edius Pro 3 is also $599, I believe. I think ACEDVio comes with Ulead SE DVD authoring software (leery of that actually working as well as Encore). What does Edius 3 get you that Premiere Pro 1.5 doesn't (when using ACEDVio)?

To complicate the picture, I see the Ediius DV Pack bundle in the products section of the Canopus site that includes Edius 2.5, a DVRaptor RT2 and an ADVC50 Converter and Bay. I think this deal is $899. The DVRaptor isn't really sold other than in this package? I.e., it is obsolete?

Am I correct in stating that the ACEDVio hardware does not offer relief to the CPU during editing like the DVRaptor should? I will have a 3.2 GHz machine with a gig of RAM. I'd like it to not choke. I think the ACEDVio is mainly a converter?

Ideally, I guess the best state-of-the-art board, even for mere DV SD, is the new NX system with Edius 3? That and Adobe Encore would break my bank. The Ulead DVD software comes only with the NX expansion box, which I don't need.

Man, it's hard to pin down the least expensive/effective product.

Any advice much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Best Bang for the Buck
on Nov 21, 2005 at 9:23:41 pm

1) the ACEDVio card is simply an I/O device for DV and analog. It has no other impact on editing. Think of it as an ADVC110 converter box built onto a PCI card

2) The ACEDVio Ultra bundle w/ Premiere Pro is no longer available. Canopus no longer sells an products bundles with Premiere

3) Edius Pro 3 is a great program and when you combine it with the Edius NX hardware you will get perforemance that far exceeds your curretn DV rex set up. Edius NX is $999.95 and it includes Edius Pro 3

Gary

Return to posts index

cincyjack
Re: Best Bang for the Buck
on Nov 22, 2005 at 4:12:23 am

OK, Gary, thanks. You sold me the Rex a long time ago. Very Happy
Reading the Canopus forum one is lead to bellieve that for SD, a fast CPU and hard drive with a good vdeo card is all that is needed. I'm sure the NX kicks but the question is is there somethingmore useful to spend the budget on... faster CPU, more storage, etc.
I'm leaning towards the NX just cause the Rex has served me well.

Not sure where you find a 64 bit PCI slot to fully exploit the NX, though. Same for the G-Raid and firewire 800; 800 requires a 64 bit slot. I surfed around a bit and perhaps there is a mobo out there there has 'em. I'm looking at a Dell XPS400 (for work...corp standard) and it has two 32 bit slots. I am hoping the fiewire 400 protocol will work just fine for DV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]