FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to narrow down choices for a new system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KDCNY
Trying to narrow down choices for a new system
on Nov 17, 2005 at 4:23:55 pm

Hello!

I've been reading through the advice on this website/forum for a while... and I'm now looking to have a system put together that will enable me to (finally) get some video editing done (nothing too fancy, home movies, etc.) and play some games, too (The Sims, The Movies)...

Anyway, I'm trying to narrow down some of my options, and would like your opinion on how big of a difference each of the following choices would make:

1) 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 video card - or - 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6600 video card

I'm assuming the 7800 would be the "top choice"... but would the 6600 do just as well?

2) A single 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 video card - or - a dual 7800?

Again, would the dual 7800 really make that big of a difference... or is it overkill?

3) 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4 DIMMs - or - 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4 DIMMs - or - 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

and finally:

4) The best choice from the memory options listed above - or - 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4 DIMMs

Is 4GB necessary? Is 2GB even needed? (I wouldn't be planning to go lower than 1GB)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
Re: Trying to narrow down choices for a new system
on Nov 18, 2005 at 1:15:20 am

Hi KD.
I too am putting together a video system and have done some research. A 128 GB video card would be more than adequate for editing home movies. But, 256 Mb is better but might be overkill for your purposes, as will a dual video card setup. And the 6600 from what I hear is very good for general use. 1 gig of RAM is a good amount for your needs, and 2 gigs will provide even smoother playback. Windows XP only allows 3 gigs so installing 4 gigs will be a waste. What kind of editing program will you be using? I use Premiere Pro 1 myself, but you can definitely find cheaper programs that are good for your needs and is a bit easier to learn how to use. Happy editing!
Larry D.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 18, 2005 at 1:47:06 am

as an example mentioned like Premeiere Pro, It doesn't require alot of video card memory. Pinnacle may be a different story. Verify with the editing software manufacturer before purchasing. With that said. depending on the type of Game you purchase you will want at least 256meg. The latest and greatest games have plenty of demand on video cards. Have you looked at ATI's video card lineup? They came out with a new card line which then dropped the prices of some really great cards. Some good reviews I look at are at http://www.legionhardware.com

also as ge toe video mentioned 1 gig in min. but I also suggest 2 gig if it is in your budget.
If you plan to overclock I suggest some low latency 667 other wise 533 work fine.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Nov 18, 2005 at 2:34:36 pm

Just wanted to add my $.02...

Go at LEAST 2GB of RAM. I use two 1 GB sticks of Ultra's dual channel 533Mhz PC4200. While my Pinnalce 9 Plus and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 work very well with this, I can still use more. I couldn't imagine 1GB.

I did get an ATI video card with 256MB and it was probably overkill but I know the same card I got for $350 (the Connect 3D Radeon X850XT) is a lot cheaper now with the deployment of the latest cards. I'm not really sure how to rate the card's performance since I don't play games on the PC. But the dual DVI outs are very handy.

Return to posts index

KDCNY
on Nov 18, 2005 at 2:37:35 pm

Thanks for all the quick responses! Keep 'em coming! (Please!)

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Nov 19, 2005 at 2:55:30 pm

KD-

Happen to be killing time right now so I reread your post.

Is there a particular reason you are considering dual video cards? I don't know a ton about games on the PC, but I imagine something like Sims doesn't need a whole heck of a lot of GPU. If your main thing is going to be editing, I would personally get either the card I have now (previously stated as the Connect 3D Radeon X850XT @ Tigerdirct.com) or one just slightly less powerful. If I had to do it over again I don't think I would have spent the $350 on the card but since it's so much cheaper now, it's worth it.

I'd go with 2GB of memory on 2 sticks (not 4 x 512, get 2 1024s so you have room to expand; tigerdirect has good prices on memory always--no, I don't work for them I just frequently shop between them and Newegg to find the best prices) and with the cash you save on going for a decent vid card rather than the BEST and going 2GB of RAM rather than 4, you can load up on hard drive space. You can never have too much in my opinion.

Also, invest in a very good, reliable power supply! A lot of folks skimp on this component but it happens to be the heart and soul of your system and a good one will prevent potential major disasters. I use the 600W Enermax Noisetaker 2.0. It's got more than enough juice for my case, stays cool and is very flexible with it's connections. The bad news is it's about $150 (Tigerdirect, but I did buy my case, mobo, CPU, DVD drive and other things from Newegg) but in contrast to my older PC which JUST blew it's 3rd PSU in 18 months, it's well worth the investment.

As always I recommend SATA hard drives for their smaller cables and I suggest rounded cables for any IDE connections. Newegg has a wide selection under "accessories". Both of these minor aspects will help with your case cooling. Tigerdirect also carries great little hard drive coolers (twin 60mm LED fans mounted under your drive) for $7 (it's almost as if this were a Tigerdirect commercial). These are VERY handy and easy to install. $7 is a TINY price to pay to lower your drive temps, even slightly.

In my experience the most important factors in editing is having a well-cooled case with a reliable, beefy power supply and more-than-sufficient memory. If you make those your primary concerns, you'll have created an excellent foundation to build upon.

That's all for now.
-Q

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]