FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quadro FX vs Radeon X850 XT

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zzmster
Quadro FX vs Radeon X850 XT
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:36:04 pm

Based on the terrific DIY Challenge II - Big Blue I am finally putting my very first own NLE system together (with a modification towards the PNY Quadro FX 1400 instead of PNY Quadro FX 540 128MB)

I could not however figure out how the video signal is transfered to a tv monitor.... Sadly it took me (only) three days to figure out that both Quadro FX series have no tv out.

My question: is this correct ? how do you preview the vids on a tv screen when using one of both cards?

I understand that the quadro line are very nice cards to have. For 2d and 3d work - which I mostly will be doing - the 1300 or 1400 should be sufficient...but what about the tv out which I need for premiere? Is there an alternative or do I stick another card with tv out into the system?

I just started to look at the ATI RADEON X850XT which does offer tv out and now I am at complete loss...albeit in this case a poor comparison as the ATI card is 256 mb card...I do not know what to choose for my usd 250-350 budget.

Running on WinXP, i'll be mostly working on Premiere, AFX, Some 3D Apps and Photoshop, I will most likely not invest in a realtime edit card nor will HD be a specific issue..

System specs:

INTEL P4 3.4GHz

ASUS P5AD2-E Premium

Corsair 2 x 512 - 5400 C4 (think this choice was a bit over the top)

WD 74 GB Raptor - system drive, finally due next wednesday Smile

2 WD or samsung 160 SATA video drives - due next month Sad

2 x 200 GB IDE backup and dump drives

and a nice chieftec case and some fans...

The system is coming together since july of this year... if I dont make a decision about the videocard fast it'll be august 2006 before the pc is up and running.... wrrrr. Please advise..what kind of video card do I need >??

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
Re: Quadro FX vs Radeon X850 XT
on Nov 9, 2005 at 10:18:17 pm

Hi.
I don't know much about vid cards, but I do have a question for you. Do you use an ata drive for OS and sata drives for storage? If so how does this configuration work for you? Thanks. Very Happy

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Nov 10, 2005 at 3:10:47 pm

Z...

First of all, nice motherboard. Just built a system as well (based off of the DIY II but upgraded in certain areas, of course ) and chose the same. It's excellent to work with.

As for the video card, I selected Connect 3D's Radeon X850XT Plat. I bought it in August for $350 but now Tigerdirect has it for $199 (329.99 but with a $130 rebate). I took months researching which card to get for my heavy workload and this card works like a dream. I've read some reviews that say it runs hot but my case is very well cooled...I've had no problems. I'm also using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 (the whole collection + Photoshop) and Pinnacle 9 Plus. I use the card's VIVO to run to my 20" Sony WEGA TV. No problems and the dual DVI (with VGA adapters) were perfect for the twin monitor set up--which is nearly essential when working with Premiere and it's counterparts. This card has much more of a gaming reputation (of which I do none, except for some Madden on Xbox) but when I read between the lines I saw it was perfect for NLE application as well. I have nothing against the Quadro cards and I'm sure they're excellent but the Connect 3D card has served me very well--and if you can get it now with the rebate (expires 11/30 I think) then you're getting away with something.

In looking at your system specs, I HIGHLY recommend you up the ante on your memory. 1GB is not going to do it for you. Get another set of the same memory so you can have at least 2GB. I bought two 1GB sticks of Ultra memory (with heat spreaders) and, while it's a VAST improvement from my old machine which only sported 512MB, it can still use more to improve performance. I'll even probably buy another set of memory to get 4GB in January. Trust me, memory is one of the things you want to load up on when dealing with demanding NLE software.

Here's what I built:

Aspire X-Navigator Case
ASUS P5AD2-E Mobo
Intel 3.4Ghz 650 prescott CPU
Ultra dual channel 533Mhz (PC4200) DDR2 Memory (1024x2) 2GB
Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 600W PSU
Maxtor Diamondmax10 250GB SATA-150 Hard Drives x 4
Sony DRU800A DVD +/-DL Writer
Phillips DVD+DL Writer
Connect 3D Radeon X850XT Platium 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

*Note: In YOUR system, whatever you run on your IDE conenction, make sure you use IDE rounded cables. I am using 1 cable with two heads to connect my two DVD writers to the mobo. Helps with cooling, saves space and looks great. Newegg has a good selection.

Return to posts index

zzmster
on Nov 11, 2005 at 9:31:43 am

Q !

YES, finally a clear and decent answer !! Thank you for you detailed replySmile ) the matter of the videocard is indeed tricky especially if you're building a dream machine wich can multitask heavy workloads. 2 hour + Premiere productions and 80-300 mb graphic files in Photoshop.

Based on my own (currently 7 days non stop) research I think I indeed will be going with the Radeon X850XT. The card has a gaming reputation but reading between the lines is what indeed counts, and hey perhaps we'll finally get sucked in by a game or two Smile For semi pro NLE and Photoshop work the bandwith, speed and OpenGL seems to be ok.

I expect the motherboard will behave admirably - I must admit I chose this one long before I read the DIY challange. I will certainly look into the matter of memory, thank you for that. For now I am almost out of budget, but I was thinking of selling the corsair set and getting 2 GB of 400 or 533 mhz ddr2 with tighter timings, the current 667 mhz might be a bit overkill as I am not much of an overclocker (yet). For the IDE cables I will look into that as well.

thank you - o kindred spirit !

P.S. When you researched did you come across the FireGL V5100 ?

Return to posts index

zzmster
on Nov 11, 2005 at 9:40:03 am

ge_toe_video,

I will be using the

WD 74 GB Sata for OS,
2 x 160 Sata video drives
2 x 200 IDE drives just for project backup and additional dump, one of these hooked up externaly.

in addition 1 x 120 Sata drive (psd and tiff drive)

Return to posts index

ge_toe_video
on Nov 11, 2005 at 4:01:19 pm

Thanks zz. i will keep that in mind. BTW, what kind of editing do you do, if I may ask? Happy editing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]