FORUMS: list search recent posts

KT400 chipset and the Matrox RTX.100

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ketch_me_productions
KT400 chipset and the Matrox RTX.100
on Nov 5, 2005 at 6:46:38 am

A friend built a computer for me over a couple of years ago, and the motherboard uses the VIA KT400 chipset. I had been using a Pinnacle DV500 capture card (which I was never extremely happy with), but my computer seemed to have some issues with it, and it eventually quit working. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Matrox RTX.100, but I have a question I hoped someone might be able to answer.

Does anyone know if the RTX.100 will work with the KT400 chipset? This chipset is listed on the incompatible list for the RTX.100 on the Matrox website, but there is a footnote that says that this chipset is "not recommended for use with a Matrox RT.X system because [it does] not work well when editing or playing back segments on the Timeline that contain two video layers, one graphics layer, and a 3D effect. [This chipset has] demonstrated a PCI bandwidth limitation when reading from host memory (RAM). This is seen when heavy PCI bandwidth (such as for video, graphics, and effects) is required by several PCI devices at the same time."

Anyone have an opinion on this? Will buying this capture card mandate I install a new motherboard?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: KT400 chipset and the Matrox RTX.100
on Nov 5, 2005 at 6:51:50 am

Yes, I've built three Matrox systems, following their recommendations exactly. They all worked.

Systems that don't follow Matrox recommendations have problems.

Return to posts index

Ketch_me_productions
Re: KT400 chipset and the Matrox RTX.100
on Nov 6, 2005 at 4:44:16 pm

I guessed that would be the case, but since I've never replaced a motherboard myself, I'm hesitant to do so.

Thanks for replying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]