FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive Setup and Raid

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikes8500
Hard Drive Setup and Raid
on Nov 3, 2005 at 10:16:51 pm

My system drive just died on me after 2 years, a Seagate U320 Cheetah Scsi. I was thinking of doing a Raid setup with some WD Raptors. I was looking at raid 0 and 1 but the choice was performance or redundancy. I was thinking of going Raid 5 for my system drive with 3 drives and keeping the 4th spare, maybe using it as a video drive. Would this give me high performance? I don't want to even see the Windows startup screen.. heh. are the seek times good with Raid 5? I also do 3d modeling on the station so I have gigs of texture maps that need to be called on too.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Hard Drive Setup and Raid
on Nov 4, 2005 at 2:06:17 pm

My opinion.. AND it is my personal opinion on OS drive setup, is to never RAID it. If the RAID 0 goes down you are SOL until you fix it. I personally suggest finding the fasteset single drive. (if you want a redundant RAID, I wouldn't say no to that, but it doesn't increase that almight performance you are looking for.) If you want better performance get two+ seperate RAID setups for, 1) video, 2)scratch, & 3)audio or texture maps. (I could always mention the CPU and memory to boost your performance, but since you didn't ask I assume you already have addressed that.)

here is a link on RAID 5 http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel5-c.html
I have not seen much interest in RAID 5 in NLEs.

You will always see a splash of Windows boot up. The less installed programs & updates, the quicker the boot. But don't solely judge performance on your boot up time.

Return to posts index

scottyfree
Re: Hard Drive Setup and Raid
on Nov 13, 2005 at 1:42:25 pm

74 G Raptors in RAID 0 is an excellent choice for your Boot drive, since they are quite reliable, and ultra fast. But Lee is right that if one drive goes down, you're in trouble. RAID 1 slows them down so you may as well have a normal 7200 rpm drive. I use a 36 G Raptor for boot (the 74G version IS slightly faster though), and put Doc and Settings on a Maxtor Diamond 10 for D: Drive. I use 74G Raptors in RAID 0 for video capture and that is amazing-you will NEVER lose a frame. RAID 5 is also an option but if you search around you will find an abundance of controller card/SATA issues that must be resolved. I haven't seen the windows startup splash screen for years so if you don't need to eneter a password, search for XP tweaks and tips and you'll find out how. If you don't, ask again and I will tell you how to do this. Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]