FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture direct to MPEG or DV then convert to MPEG

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ganrivera
Capture direct to MPEG or DV then convert to MPEG
on Nov 25, 2004 at 1:18:51 am

Which one will give a better DVD quality in the end using an analog source? Capture direct to MPEG2 (using MPEGPRO) or Capture in DV Format (using ADVC300) then just use the software to convert the DV file to MPEG2. I'm after the end product quality. Though direct to MPEG is much faster than capture to DV then to MPEG.

Gan

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Capture direct to MPEG or DV then convert to M
on Nov 25, 2004 at 6:26:41 am

Capture to DV, do your editing, and then transcode for DVD. The best quality DVD transcoding is done using multiple passes, which precludes realtime capture direct to DVD format.

However, capturing short durations (1 hour or less) is done at a high enough bitrate that the video quality would be virtually indistinguishable from multipass transcoding.

Personally, I always capture to DV and do my editing first. I've never seen video that didn't need some cutting.

Return to posts index

OldGuy
on Dec 10, 2004 at 7:31:19 pm

I have years of tapes (family stuff)from VHS, Hi8 and MiniDV. My plan is to convert all to MiniDV, edit (I currently use Premiere 6 and Matrox 2500), and save to both MiniDV and DVD. My first priority is to convert to MiniDV as many of the tapes are over 15 years old. I have a JVC SR-VS10 to convert and use a Panasonic AG-DV2000 for editing input and output. I don't have the time to edit the old tapes at this time. The conversion will allow me the additional time of the MiniDV tape shelf life to do the editing. Am I on the right track?

I have not really got into DVD authoring. I did make one DVD and was disappointed since any action shots such as basketball games were jittery. This is when I exported from Premiere to my computer DVD recorder in JPEG2. Would it be better to record to a DVD recorder such as the Panasonic DMR-E100HS directly from the MiniDV recorder/player as opposed to going through the computer? Also what is the difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4. Is it worth waiting for the new recorders to come out that support MPEG4? What does MPEG4 for do for me that MPEG2 doesn't? Is it higher compression and is there any quality loss with the higher compression?

My son just finished his basketball career at a Major program and most of his games were telecast. Many of the tapes I have are of these games. I will edit out commercials and I hope to do some highlight tapes and would like to do some slow motion shots. Does the Matrox RT.X100 allow you to do slow motion?

PS JohnQ, I read many of your posts and appreciate the info you provide. Thanks OldGuy

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 10, 2004 at 9:43:59 pm

I personally have a Matrox RT.X100 system, but I've been using my Panasonic DMR-E80H to digitize my 25-year old VHS tapes, cut them into individual programs and burn them onto DVD for archiving. The Panasonic DVD recorder does a good job of digitizing at either the XP or SP rates. For best quality, stick to XP (1-hour) speed. Since I'm not doing any more editing than just cutting it up, this works fine. When I need to do fancy editing, I use the X100.

While miniDV tape is magnetically more durable than VHS and 8mm, it also has a limited shelf life, as magnetic print-through will eventually damage this recording as well. DVD has a much better theoretical shelf life.

On the flipside, miniDV has less compression than DVD, so the quality is higher for tape, although it would be hard to see without looking at each individual frame. The compressed format on DVD is also not intended for editing, although it is possible to convert it back to an AVI file for editing.

You say you got jitter on your DVD. This is where it gets complicated. If you had a venetian blind effect during motion, that's typically a field order problem. Standard DV and video is recorded as interlaced video, capturing first one field of half the lines followed by a second field of the other lines. This causes a time parallax between the two fields comprising a single frame of video. If you reverse the field order, your video is out of sync when displayed, which really shows up during motion. Of course, this assumes you're viewing it on an interlaced display, like a standard television. Watching it on a computer adds another wrench, as a computer video display is a progressive scan device, displaying all lines on each pass. The software DVD player has to deinterlace the video for display on the monitor. If the settings are wrong there, you'll see problems there during motion.

Standard DVD's are encoded in MPEG2 IBP format, where miniDV is MPEG2 I-frame. Most DVD players will not play MPEG4 encoded video. The new blue laser replacement for the DVD (if they ever agree to a single standard) is supposed to support newer codecs. For now, stick with MPEG2.

Yes, the RT.X100 supports slow motion. You can even change the rate dynamically. You can kind of see what I'm talking about by viewing a demo I created for my church. I took a still shot and did a "Ken Burns" zoom out, dynamically varying the motion through the shot. That's the kind of control you have with the X100.

CCF Demo video

If you're an "Old Guy", you're not alone. AARP has been bugging me for years to join. Thanks for the vote of confidence. As Indiana Jones said, "It's the miles." I've been playing with digital video for years, starting with a Matrox Rainbow Runner, moving to an ADS Pyro Pro, a Matrox RT2000, and now an RT.X100 with the DMR-E80H. I can't wait to see what's next.

P.S. I've got to brag a little, although I've been assured that I DO have bragging rights. I watch my videos in my home theater.

Return to posts index

OldGuy
on Dec 12, 2004 at 10:35:03 pm

How do you go from a video project in Premiere 6 to creating a DVD in MPEG2 IBP format so I don't get jitters when I play it on my TV? It runs fine on my computer. Is it an easier process with Premiere Pro 1.5? Help is appreciated. OldGuy

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 13, 2004 at 1:28:30 am

For Premiere 6, make sure you open a project using the Matrox preset. This gives you "lower field first", which matches the video format of standard NTSC DV. You want to keep the video interlaced, as standard DVD's are interlaced.

After you've finished your editing, do Export Timeline, Matrox Realtime Export to Disk. You want to export it to MPEG-2 IBP (m2v) with a separate WAV audio file. I usually pick a frame to export as a still to use as a background for my DVD menu as well. The bitrate is a function of your video length, but you shouldn't use a bitrate higher than 7. I found that CBR encoded video played better on some DVD players than VBR, so I usually use CBR.

I assume you're using DVDit, which came with the Premiere 6 bundle. Open DVDit. Select the defaults. Select the Media button. Right-click in the media window and select "Add Files to Theme". Then select your bmp, m2v, and wav files. Drop the bmp on your Menu1 button to create the menu background. If you want a still button, just drop the m2v file on the menu. You can then add chapter points as needed.

It always worked for me.

Return to posts index

OldGuy
on Dec 13, 2004 at 4:33:30 am

I don't have the menu items you indicated. When I go to Export timeline I only have:
Movie...
Frame...
Audio...
Advanced RealMedia Export...

I would have sent a screen shot but I don't know how or if I can attach it to this response. OldGuy

Return to posts index

John Q
on Dec 14, 2004 at 4:54:48 am

You need to reinstall the Matrox X-Tools, version 4263 for Premiere 6. Then the Matrox realtime export and the Matrox presets will appear in your Premiere menus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]