FORUMS: list search recent posts

What video card for multiple software? PCI only

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hart316
What video card for multiple software? PCI only
on Oct 3, 2005 at 3:55:33 pm

Confused : Confused Confused :

I'm trying to build my new pc for my home movies and some wedding footage. Looking to build a 3.6ghz, 2gb ram, video raid, asus pw52 delux mobo, with PCIE. I have pinnacle studio,Liquid, adobe premiere pro, and am thinking of buying avid express dv too. My current 1.7ghz is not cutting it... acutally..it never did to begin with. Anyways... I'm stuck with the dreaded video card debate..... what do I buy??? I've read and seems videoguys as in the DIY recommends the quadro fx cards, but they also state
>
>

"Pinnacle Liquid Edition will take advantage of OpenGL performance, but for HDV 1080i editing you have to have at least 256 megs of RAM. We have also seen the ATI graphics cards tend to work a little better with Pinnacle software. This is because of the close co-operation he two companies have shared over the past few years. So if Liquid Edition is your NLE of choice, get an ATI X800/X700 3D card with 256 megs of RAM. "
>
>
>
>

Well, I'm confused what if some day I decide to edit in 1080 hd when the cameras come down a bit more or even 720 format.? If I get an FX 1300 will that be good enough? What if I decide Liquid is better for me or for a certain project? Should I get an x800 or go with a EVGA 6800GT that has both 256mb dual dvi and openGL compatible.... BUT..... it is not "approved" by Avid.

Will I REALLY notice any difference in post production for my personal editing use, even perhaps if I decide to do wedding editing for a side business? Is a 6800GT with 256mb and dual dvi, good enough for all the apps above (all the apps the DIY 2 runs), or should I get an FX1300 or a X800 (but not approved for avid)????????? What advantage does a quadro give us versus and geforce? Is it noticeable or significant to a mid range user, as opposed to a high end broadcast or film productions. Just curious because as we all know..... those quadros are not cheap. OR just get a 540 fx quadro or 1300 quadro??

If I'm going to spend close to $2,000 on my cpu, I want to make sure whatever card I get, whether it be a geforce, quadro or ati card, it'll work well with all other software for at least the next 3 years.

Thanks for the help and excuse the long post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]