FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Help With Image Quality

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toddca
Need Help With Image Quality
on Oct 1, 2005 at 10:25:18 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a novice here and bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5. I have a Sony TRV 460 DV Handycam and authored a simple DVD and was totally disappointed with the video quality. I have a Dell 8300 with Belkin Firewire Card. Can anyone suggest a simple authoring program that will produce a top notch image on DVD? Do I need to spend a bundle (>$500) to create a decent image?
Thanks,
Todd

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Need Help With Image Quality
on Oct 1, 2005 at 5:26:54 pm

You said you were totally disappointed, but you didn't describe the problem. If the resolution seemed low, that's what you can expect from a 1/6" sensor with 290K effective pixel resolution. If you're noting a combing effect on motion, then your field order is reversed. If you note compression artifacts, i.e. pixelization, then you need a better video encoder and dvd authoring program.

Return to posts index

toddca
on Oct 1, 2005 at 6:22:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.
OK, what'the difference between low resolution and pixelation? I definately have pixelation. Can you suggest a program with a good encoder that's pretty straight forward? What is the 1/6" sensor? Is that part of the burner? I have a TDK 880N burner. I'm not sure what the combing effect is but I don't think I have that. The movement is chopped up into frames, about 30/sec, which I would like to get rid of as well.
My friend had a Hi8 tape transferred to dvd at a local shop and the image is razor sharp. Do dvd recorders recorders produce better images?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Oct 2, 2005 at 3:55:44 am

A camera resolution problem would be visible as an overall unsharp image. This would be due to the limited resolution of 1/6" sensor in the camcorder. More expensive camcorders have 1/3" sensors, sometimes 3 of them.

A field order problem would be visible as a comb or venetian blind effect during motion. Standard DV is interlaced approximately 60 fields per second. Two fields make a frame of video. If your DVD authoring is configured with the wrong field order, you'd see combing. 30 frames/sec is standard NTSC DV video. Actually it's really 29.97, but close enough.

It sounds like you have a transcoding problem, which would be attributable to the DVD authoring program. I'm not familiar with the program you're using, so I can't really help you with specifics. If your video is an hour or less, you should encode it as MPEG-2 at 7.0 Mb/sec constant bitrate. You'd have to pick a lower bitrate for longer video. If your bitrate is too low, you'll see compression artifacts as pixelation in various parts of the video.

If you're encoding as MPEG-1 for VCD, the bitrate is just too low and you'll see compression artifacts anytime there's motion. I gave up trying to make VCD's right after I bought my Pioneer A03 DVD burner.

I'm using the Adobe Video Collection with my Matrox RT.X100, which works very well, but is definitely in larger bundle of money category. It's also expensive, because it has very specific hardware requirements. It also has a steep learning curve, as it's a very powerful package. It's worth it to me, because it lets me do a project like the restoration of my parents' anniversary video, shot on Betamax. The Video Collection plus the RT.X100 lets me do realtime color correction. Audition let me do audio filtering to remove the camera noise.

Premiere Elements may fit the bill. Maybe the Videoguys can help recommend a solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]