FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corsair/ Kingston/ OCZ Value Ram... is it ok?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pjletofsky
Corsair/ Kingston/ OCZ Value Ram... is it ok?
on Oct 1, 2005 at 6:59:41 am

What are the real world down sides of buying value ram?

Would it be better to have 2GB of the highest quality RAM, or
4GB of the Value Ram?

I will be doing lots of Premiere Pro, After Effects, Pro Tools, DVD encoding, amd hopefully HD(V) editing soon....
It will be with the Intel DualCore 830 and lots of hard drives....

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Corsair/ Kingston/ OCZ Value Ram... is it ok?
on Oct 1, 2005 at 5:15:25 pm

If you do buy 4 GB of RAM, you'll be surprised to find that your system will only have 3 or 3.5 GB of usable memory, depending on your bios and video card. That's because XP will only address a total of 4 GB of memory space and some of that will have to be reserved for hardware, like the motherboard bios and video card.

Return to posts index

scottyfree
on Nov 9, 2005 at 4:41:19 am

2GB is plenty so go with the fastest you can afford.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Nov 10, 2005 at 5:44:18 am

Value RAM tend to have a higher stated latency time. (now remember we are talking about milli-seconds or less) So the costs sometimes depend on latency. The lower the number the better. Not more than 6-12 months ago low lantecy DDR memory was considered faster than the new DDR2 memory, because of the latency. The latency time has dropped recently, making DDR2 memory more attractive.

I think RAM manufactures call them value RAM based on test which they do. If they don't pass an over clocking test or torture test they call it value RAM, unless of course it fails the basic test then I assume they call it trash.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]