FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video card for Avid Xpress Pro HD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pjletofsky
Video card for Avid Xpress Pro HD?
on Sep 30, 2005 at 6:11:47 am

I'm having a computer built thru Monarch, and my last component to choose is the video card. I use the Adobe video collection, and Avid Xpress Pro (will upgrade to HD)and am wondering if the evga 6800 256MB card will work with avid, verses the PNY Quadro 540 128MB (price is $225 for evga vs 222 for PNY).
I am getting:

Antec case P180
Asus P5wd2
pentium D dualcore 830
4GB Ram (corsair value ram 1gb sticks)
WD Raptor 74GB 10k rpm system drive
2 x 250GB WD SataII drives (raid)
video card?

advice?
thanks

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Video card for Avid Xpress Pro HD?
on Sep 30, 2005 at 12:00:51 pm

Go to Avid's website and look for their recommend hardware list. ( I assume it exists) I know Adobe PPro doesn't care aslong as it is 128 or more.. 256 is better choice, for not that much more $$

and verify you need all that memory.. I think 2GB should be plenty.

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on Oct 1, 2005 at 6:51:34 am

I'm not sure if the evga card is 'quadro' but it is Nvidia....
Is Open GL enough?

pj

The Avid site says:

Open GL graphics cards: NVidia QuadroFX 1400 PCI Express, NVidia QuadroFX 1300 PCI Express, Nvidia QuadroFX 1100 AGP 8X, NVidia QuadroFX 500 AGP 8X or NVidia Quadro4 980 XGL AGP 8X

Return to posts index

hart316
same situation
on Oct 4, 2005 at 5:35:41 pm

I'm in the same situation too. I too, am going with monarch for my custom pc, but if you see my post on the pci-e card, I have been going back and forth due to Avid requirements and Pinnacle liquid (quadro vs. x800)

Debating between a geforce 6800gt 256mb, quadro fx 540 128mb (video edition) or a quadro fx 1300 128mb.

Let me know what deciding factor you go with.

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on Oct 25, 2005 at 3:14:59 am

FYI, the videoguys said that the evga 6800 256MB card will work with avid, so I may have to go for it....They said just make sure its nvidia, and open GL...

Return to posts index

hart316
on Oct 27, 2005 at 4:07:44 pm

why don't you just wait for the new evga 6600gt (256mb, dual dvi & HDTV out)?

That's what I'm waiting for. It'll be cheaper than the 6800(gt) and will work just as fine. (nvidia and opengl 2.0) should run about $200 or so.

Return to posts index

Tim E. Mayer
on Oct 27, 2005 at 5:07:20 pm

Avids are very picky about the system specs. Avid lists the hardware to minimize YOUR downtime. Deviating from their specs is usually not a good idea unless you really know what your doing and why.

If your editing is just for a hobby, go ahead and experiment. If its for work that you need a reliable system... don't experiment if time = money for you.

IMHO spending your money on the best video card you can afford from Avid's list is some of the best money you will spend on your system, especially if you are planning to do lots of graphics, titles and fx. It can be really OGL intensive.

Peace.

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on Oct 31, 2005 at 9:17:20 am

When is the new evga 6600gt (256mb, dual dvi & HDTV out) coming out?
any idea?

Return to posts index

hart316
on Nov 1, 2005 at 6:44:53 pm

I called EVGA, they mentioned within the week it will be shipping out to vendors. The price will be ~$200, but they have a mistake on the website, it has it listed for $999, I made this error aware to EVGA. It should be fixed soon. I've been waiting for this too! No one else has them yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]