FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade help and messed up storage system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
smokingblowjoe
Upgrade help and messed up storage system
on Sep 24, 2005 at 4:40:04 pm

I'd like to upgrade this system for it to be faster. It seems that it takes anywhere between 4 to 6 hours to create DVDs from DV Tapes.The videos are about half an hour long. I use Premiere Pro 1.5, edit audio using Audition 1.5 and do some minor adjustments for image quality ( levels, curves ). Aside from that I dont touch the video much. Here are the specs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4 2.8C Northwood ( does 3.4ghz during render time )
2x512 DDR400
Asus P4c800 Deluxe
GF4 Ti 4200 128MB
Linksys PCI Wireless Card
SB Audigy Platinum
Winfast TV XP2000 Tv Tuner
Promise Raid Card

Storage
1x7200.7 Seagate 7200 200GB 8MB ( PATA/IDE )
Boot/OS/Data Drive

2xWD1200 WD Caviar 7200 120 GB 8MB - ( SATA RAID on MB )
Raid 0 Drive
Used to Store Captured Videos for premiere

2xBarracuda Vs 7200 80GB 2MB - Raid 0 Drive ( IDE RAID on Card )
Raid 0 Drive
Used to store large 30minute wav files for use in premiere
Also houses mp3s, digital images ( photoshop editing )

1x120gb Barracuda IV ( PATA/IDE )
Archieve Drive ( just died, needing replacement )

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that my storage system is pretty messed up. I read about separate Video Input and Output drives. Since i dont know how use Adobe Premiere to output to AVI and then write and DVD from that avi, i just use export to DVD.

Do you have any recommendations on overhauling the storage system for it to perform faster? Will that mean i will have three drives for video editing including my dedicated raid audio drive? I already have 6 drives,and im willing to replace any of them although it id like to retain some if possible. My only options are Seagates 7200.7s upto 300gb, Maxtor IIIs ( the new 300gb drive with 16mb cache ) and WD Raptors, the 36GB versions.

i was thinking
2x36 raptors in raid 0 for OS/Apps
1 video source drive
1 video output drive
2 audio drives/mp3/pictures ( for editing ) in RAID since Photoshop seems to love it
1 Archieve Drive ( just used to store data never accessed much )

for a total of 7 drives...is there a better setup?

Thanks for the help

PS
if I can get a substantial increase in DVD enconding performance in premiere i would consider upgrading the whole thing. Start over. Which makes it difficult since new Motherboards dont seem to have more than 2 PCI slots.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Upgrade help and messed up storage system
on Sep 24, 2005 at 7:28:29 pm

You say you have RAID, but you don't say how it was configured. Ironically, tests have shown that cheap RAID controllers actually perform faster, if you configure a software RAID using XP's Disk Manager.

I've had a Matrox RT.X100 since they came out three years ago, as I wanted faster than 10:1 transcoding speeds, especially if I was going to author DVD's for a sideline business. The RT.X100 offered realtime transcoding using a combination of software and hardware. The key element to achieve realtime performance, other than the RT.X100 hardware, was reading from a hard drive on one IDE port and writing to a second drive on a different IDE port. Note that this achieved realtime transcoding without using RAID. Most people that try using RAID with the RT.X100 actually have performance problems, because the RAID competes with the RT.X100 for the PCI bus bandwidth.

Return to posts index

smokingblowjoe
on Sep 25, 2005 at 1:40:07 am

i have raid. two raid arrays on hardware controllers. one embedded on board and one via a hardware pci card. i dont quite understand writing and reading on different disks. I have no disk on the same channels. All are on different controllers with each individual disk having their own channels.

Using Matrox RT.X100 can i actually speed up my DV > DVD rendering time?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 25, 2005 at 2:56:02 am

If you configured them as RAID using the hardware setup, then you should delete that configuration and create the RAID using XP's Disk Manager, as tests have shown that this yields faster performance than using the hardware setup. This isn't true for more expensive RAID controllers that actually consist of a separate CPU and RAM.

Return to posts index

smokingblowjoe
on Sep 25, 2005 at 8:14:38 am

thanks for the tip.

about the Matrox RT.x1000 will it actually help me reduce final rendering time? this is from DV --> DVD. i was under the impression that these cards only helped during viewing and editing of timelines but not during final rendering.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Sep 26, 2005 at 4:05:42 am

The RT.X100 has been doing realtime effects on the timeline for three years now, including color correction and matching, which I use to combine the video from three cameras into a single timeline. To combine the three videos, I place each on its own video channel in Premiere, reduce the size and positioning of each, so I can see all three cameras simultaneously. At this point, I've lost my realtime, as even the Matrox can't handle all three with color correction at the same time, although I can still preview in realtime. Of course that's fine, because I'm setting up my own multiple camera view. Then I adjust each timeline until I have all three synchonized. Once I have sync, I export the audio from each timeline into Audition to create a combined soundtrack. Then I import my combined soundtrack back into Premiere. Now I start making my cuts between cameras. As I do, I move the active camera to the primary track, so I can use the rolling edit tool to fine tune the cut. Once I've cut it, everything's back to realtime again. It's time consuming, but it creates a much more interesting video, cutting between close-ups and a wide shot. (Thank you, Desi Arnaz, who invented the three camera technique.) I add my chapter points to the Premiere timeline.

Once I have my final video, I use the RT.X100 to do a realtime export for the DVD. I open Encore to author the DVD, import the video and audio files, which contain the chapter points I set in Premiere. I can adjust the chapter points in Encore, setting new picture frame points for the chapter points to appear on still picture buttons. Encore does have to render the audio, converting the wav files to AC3, and menus, but the video is already DVD compliant.

It took awhile to learn, switching from Premiere and DVDit to the Adobe Video Collection, going through the Adobe Classroom in a Book series, but it's been worth it to me. The only downside is there's no upgrade path for the RT.X100 for HDV. At least I'll still be able to use my Adobe Video products, when I really need to worry about switching to High Def. I personally just don't have much practical use for HD at this time, because my customers want DVD's for now. When there's a blue laser standard and people start having blue laser disc players in their home, then I'll worry about switching, probably two years from now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]