FORUMS: list search recent posts

To Raid or Not to Raid

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Brewster
To Raid or Not to Raid
on Sep 3, 2005 at 7:12:32 pm

I am setting up a laptop with a dual drive configuration, 120GB (60GB x 2) 7200 RPM ATA100.
These are the only drives on the laptop.

I would love to go with a Raid 0 configuration, but I've noted in another area of Videoguys...
"We recommend Serial ATA (SATA) drives for NLE, RAIDs are great!
But... RAID Warning! We do NOT recommend setting up your computer with a single RAID 0 array as your boot drive and video storage"

Does that mean the recommended NLE set up for these two drives would be a "non-raid" configuration?

Brew

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: To Raid or Not to Raid
on Sep 3, 2005 at 10:11:35 pm

Any and all videos clips, audio clips, etc.. should be on a seperate drive from your OS.
I personally would not recommend a RAID 0 configuration as your boot drive for your OS.

It is generally recommended to use a RAID configuration (RAID O) for your media clips. In today's enviroment SATA is the best route, but PATA is still usable.

Use your firewire port on your laptop with a single fast drive (10,000RPM) for your media clips.

FYI I personally would never edit on a laptop. But if your in the field and need to edit, that could be an option with the right configuration.. I hope your laptop doesn't have a melt down when rendering.

Return to posts index

Mark Brewster
Re: To Raid or Not to Raid
on Sep 4, 2005 at 10:51:04 am

Yes, I will be using this laptop in the field.
What is PATA?
Brew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]