FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB vs. PCI

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pbell
USB vs. PCI
on Nov 1, 2004 at 1:14:53 pm

Can anyone tell me whether a PCI card is better for capturing video than a USB Device? I have a Belkin F5U207 USB capture device and was wondering if I would get better quality if I bought a PCI capture card.

Thanks,
Preston

Return to posts index

StrandedinNZ
Re: USB vs. PCI
on Nov 23, 2004 at 9:12:53 am

It depends really on what the guts of the USB device are and what the guts of the PCI capture board are.

USB devices usually do all the video/audio compression on board then push the compressed data down the USB bus to the PC.
Most PCI devices do the same, though some allow the unmolested video data to be passed to the PC where it can be worked on by the CPU (or not if you want lossless video) PCI devices can also be more sophisticated and allow more to be done with the video (as the device has access to the main computers RAM it's got more flexibility .. such as putting it directly into the memory of your graphics card and not bothering the CPU at all)

Depends on how serious you want to go ... for good quality home movies, just get a firewire board and let your PC do the hardwork with some nice software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]