FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY-3 - Supermicro MB / Antec PSU Question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr.curmudgeon
DIY-3 - Supermicro MB / Antec PSU Question
on Aug 25, 2005 at 3:19:31 pm

Hello,

I dove in and built the DIY3 system. I have both the Supermicro motherboard and the Antec TRUE550 #EPS12V power supply you guys recommended, and my question is this:

How did you connect the 4-pin +12V motherboard power cable, assuming you connected the 8-pin +12V power cable (since both connections are on the same lead out of the PSU, and the connectors on the MB are too far for the cable to reach both)?

Furthermore, do you know what the 4-pin +12V connection is for? I’ve been told it’s for supplying additional power to the PCI-E slots, but I haven’t been able to confirm this, as another place says it’s unnecessary if the 8-pin cable is connected. I’m having trouble with my video card (BFGTech GeForce 6800 GT OC) giving me errors saying it’s not getting enough power when the load is heavy. I’ve got the 6-pin PCI-E power connected to the card, the +12V 8-pin connected on the motherboard, and an extension cable which allows me to connect the +12V 4-pin at the same time. If the 4-pin needs it’s own separate +12V line, I’ll need to figure out how to do that…

I’m trying to figure out whether or not this is a driver issue, or a hardware issue, and if I should call Asus Tech support, Supermicro Tech Support, and/or BFGTech Tech Support?! None of which are very exciting prospects.

BTW, I went with the gaming card since I’ll do both NLE and gaming, and the 6800 can be “hacked” into working in Quadro mode anyhow (which I haven’t needed to do yet).

mrC

Return to posts index

hagi
SuperMicro Xeon X6DAE-G2 Motherboard for DIY-3
by
on Sep 1, 2005 at 3:37:45 pm

Well I'm also trying to DIM - 3, and using the SuperMicro Xeon X6DAE-G2 Motherboard. I'm also confuse with the power suply[4 pin and the 8 pin]. Also I have two sata HD - 74GB for the system and 160 for storage. Which of the SATA should I connect the HD - SATA0 and SATA1.
I also have a CPU heat sink fan with 3-pin female connector and the MOBO 8 Fan headers are all 4-pin, so where do I connect the CPU fan
If anyone had a general view and advice in terms of connections and configurations, kindly post it. By the way I will use Avid and the video card is nvidia quadro fx3400.

Return to posts index

hagi
Power connections and heatsink cooling fan for CPU and DIY-3
by
on Sep 5, 2005 at 3:15:32 pm

Did anyone run into the issue of power connections stated in the above post? Any recommendations and suggestions will help. Also can someone give me an idea as to connecting the heatsink cooling fan that has 3-pin female connector since I cannot find any 3 male connector on the Supermicro motherboard for the CPU cooling fan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]