FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY-2 - I finally did it!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ATLguy
DIY-2 - I finally did it!
on Aug 19, 2005 at 1:23:26 am

I finally got it! On Monday of this week, I picked up my barebones from Monarch:

Thermaltake Soprano case (Black) with 430w PS
P5WD2 Premium motherboard
Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz
2 GB RAM - Corsair (VS2GBKIT533D2) 533 PC-4200
Total: $823

I had previously received the following in separate orders:

1 Western Digital Raptor HD, 10K RPM, 74 GB (Monarch) $175
PNY Quadro FX 540 w/Breakout Box (NewEgg) $229
HP 16X DVD burner, with Lightscribe (NewEgg) $99

I successfully installed the HD, video card, and DVD burner on Tuesday, then installed Windows XP Media Center (yeah, I know, but it was a gift). I am using the 19" monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers from my previous setup. I will add a second HD in the near future.

By 5:00 PM, I was surfing online. (External 56K modem, as recommended by the VideoGuys. It was free after rebate at Office Depot.) Preliminary work with 3D software is outstanding! I am in the process of studying the "tweaks" of XP on this site, before I install Premiere Pro.

This thing flies! I sure have come a long way since my first computer, an Atari 520 ST, in 1986.

Thanks again to this site for the wealth of information, and for the DYI-2 inspiration...

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: DIY-2 - I finally did it!
on Aug 20, 2005 at 1:32:53 pm

Congrats. That is one small-budget gem.

Have you played around with your Premiere Pro yet? I just got it last weekend and quickly realized what all the hype was about regarding dual monitors. Even with a 19" (I have a 17") I think you'll want to look into it due to the Adobe-style screen clutter.

Couldn't survive with one hard drive though. That's why I went with 7. Of course, I tend to over-do things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]