FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Avid Express DV editing-What computer?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nfieden
New to Avid Express DV editing-What computer?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 5:48:31 pm

Hi, Great site.

The last video editing I did was 15 years ago using a 3/4" system, my how things have changed.

I will be using Avid Express DV because of compatibility with my main editor. The finished products (when he is finished) will be sold on DVD's and aired on PBS.

I will be doing some b-roll, Music Videos and web leaders for the products.

My question is: Is there a computer I can purchase over the counter that will run the AVID Express DV software without problems? I will be running this computer as a stand along and not part of my network.

I was reading all the information on this site and think maybe the
SONY VAIO RA series (with the liquid cooling) may work as it has an Intel P-4 3.4 processor and the video card is not integrated on the motherboard. I am not locked into any brand as I just need to have one that will be as trouble free as possible.

I have not built my own computer for about 10 years so really do not want to if I don't have to.

I also have a budget of around $2,000 for the computer. I already have 2 19" LG L1920P monitors (both have Digital and Analog input) and the purchase of the AVID Express DV software is over and above the $2K.

I am most confused on what computer to purchase so any help or information would be most helpful.

One more question...Will Windows XP Multi-media 2005 work as Windows XP Pro is recommended.

Ron

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: New to Avid Express DV editing-What computer?
on Aug 19, 2005 at 12:08:20 am

On Avid Xpress pages, Avid has a list of certified OEM computers, as well as certified systems integrators.

Tantus just happens to be on that list! Smile You're in luck, because the answer to your question is yes - and that's exclusively what WE do.

Return to posts index

nfieden
Thank you for your reply but still confused
on Aug 19, 2005 at 3:41:45 am

I looked at the computers on your site and noticed they all seemed to be using the new dual core processors so I guess there is no issue using them with Avid Express DV. I had thought I read on the site that there could be or maybe there was no benefit in using one.

Given my budget of $2000 less the monitors and AVID software what computer and hardware would you recommend. It seemed the computers listed on your page gave a intial price (unknown what that included) and them many add ons for CPU speed, Video card, HD, etc. CD burner, DVD burner, Firewire, etc.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: New to Avid Express DV editing-What computer?
on Aug 22, 2005 at 5:01:17 pm

The idea that Avid doesn't 'need' dual core is based on the fact that Avid software isn't multi-threaded. However, dual processors/dual core provide performance benefits in many other ways in post production.

For your budget, however, I would suggest NOT going dual-core. The fastest Athlon64 chip you can afford would be the best thing.

As far as our configurator, it probably won't suit your budget/athlon64 chip. If you'd like me to come up with something custom for you not available on our site, feel free to give me a call.

Return to posts index

nfieden
What video card?
on Aug 23, 2005 at 1:06:23 am

Thank you for that information. I think I might just have to make a few updates to my present computer if possible. I have a Sony RA710G with a P4-3.2 and 2gb RAM. I also have 2-250gb harddrives installed with another 2-250 external using USB2 and Firewire. I have Win XP MME 2005 as the operating system.

I presently use this computer to do desktop publishing using PM6.5, CorelDraw 12 and Finale 2005.

Would it be possible to just update the video card and have a viable starting system until I can afford something better? If so what video card would you suggest?

Ron

Return to posts index

nfieden
Another computer I can update
on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:57:15 pm

I was talking with my partner and could swap computers as his is only a couple of months old (I forgot his crashed and had to be replaced)

So I now have many of the newer options in this computer which I have listed below:

Sony Vaio RA840G Liquid cooled
Intel P-820 D 2.8ghz, 800mhz FSB (Duel core)
2 GB PC2-4200 533mhz DDR2 Memory
ATI Radeon X300 128mb PCI Express Video card (Seems slower then my other system)
1ea Serial ATA SAID Ready 7200 250gb Hard drive (operating system)
2ea Serial ATA 200gb 7200 Maxtor Hard drives
WIN XP MME 2005 (seems this is on both computers)

What video card do you recommend using on this system?
Will I be able to run AVID Express DV with WIN XP MME 2005?

Due to the very limited budget I need for this system to get me started until I can afford/support updating to a dedicated system if at all possible.

I am just starting out with this and will mostly be only doing video bits for on the web and some music videos at this time. But, I need for what I do to be swapable/usable by the professional Video editor person that will do the final product who uses Avid Express DV for broadcasting on PBS and selling DVD's. I hope this makes sense to you. I normally do all of the desktop publishing and music for the printed products but now need to expand.

Again, Thank you for any help you can provide.

Return to posts index

nfieden
Graphics Card for above system?
on Aug 24, 2005 at 4:31:49 am

What do you think about my going with the PNY Quardo FX 540 PCI-E 128MB Graphic Card on the above Sony Vaio RA840G system?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]