FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Here - Few Questions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JOEVIKINGS
New Here - Few Questions
on Aug 17, 2005 at 5:40:33 pm

Hi nice to meet you all.

I have a Gateway 420GR with a P4 2.93 GHz 512MB Ram 160G Sata Drive and Windows XP Home. It came with a DVD-RW and I would like to convert my home videos to DVD. I have InterVideo DVD player and InterVideo DVD Creator and also MGI VideoWave 4.

I'm not a professional and don't plan on becoming one, I just would like to create some cool DVDs using my home movies.

My Question is, is the PC I have good enough to handle the job??

Thanks in Advance for your replies.
JOEVIKING

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: New Here - Few Questions
on Aug 17, 2005 at 6:13:39 pm

Yeah. That's how it all started for me too. All I wanted to do was mess around with my own home footage. 3 years later I've had to quit my job, get a business license, stock up on capital and work from 3:30am-11pm just so I don't get TOO far behind.

But enough of that, on to your question. While there are people lurking around this forum with far more insight than I, I would say that what you have is very adequate. for the last 3 years I've been running a Gateway box myself; 2.4GHz processor with 512 memory. If I can do pro work on that, you're just fine.

Does your PC have a firewire port? You will need one (whether it be in your motherboard, front port or an add-in card) to capture your footage to the hard drive.

I'm certain everyone here would recommend a 2nd hard drive. If you're not a fan of opening up the case and doing it yourself, look at an external drive. This will require the firewire port/cable. Why? Video data eats up tons of space (I think 13GB per hour of film) and you don't really want to pull your scratch (raw video footage) from your boot drive. It can be done, sure, but you're better off overall with an external drive. My current PC (which is being replaced as I type) has a 160GB boot drive and an 80GB second internal drive. I used to use the 80GB for video but went with 3 250GB externals instread. Now the 80GB internal is a music library.

What format is this home footage of yours? VHS? 8mm? Digital8? DV? Do you have a camcorder with firewire interface so that you can transfer the footage? There are ins and outs with all these aspects.

I know nothing about the software you have, so I can't make that call.

Return to posts index

JOEVIKINGS
on Aug 17, 2005 at 7:09:02 pm

Thanks for the Reply.

Yes it has firewire ports(4 or 5)

I have no problem installing a harddrive, except I thought 160G would be enough, since once the product is complete it will be burned on DVD nd removed from hard drive.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-HC20 MiniDV Digital Camcorder.
It has firewire outputs but didn't come with the firewire itself, I have to get one. I also have some older stuff on I think it's Super 8(Not sure) but at the moment don't have any way to play that back as the camera died and was tossed a few years ago.

So, I guess the system I have is good enough for what I want to do then.

Thanks again for your Reply.
JOEVIKINGS

Return to posts index

JOEVIKINGS
on Aug 17, 2005 at 8:34:30 pm

One other question I have.

I read here a few times that a Video card that is intergrated with the Mother board is bad. How so, why? I thought the Video card is just for viewing the video not actually anything to do with producing it. Please explain.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Aug 18, 2005 at 12:32:46 am

Check the software (the ones you're using for encoding & editing) check its requirements.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 18, 2005 at 6:14:18 pm

4 or 5 firewire ports??? What sorta case is this?? I use 1 1394 port with a USB/Firewire hub. Incedently, when you go to purchase your firewire cable, make sure you get what you need. Most likely a 4-to-6 pin.

160GB is nice to have but here is a little more detail on why you should eventually add a different storage drive:

A.) When you have the GBs of storage on that one single C: drive you're cluttering up the works. It's putting more of a task on your hard drive and thus you may experience lower performance overall. I also found that dropped frames during capture was common when I began with one hard drive. Besides, it fills up faster than you think and you don't want to pack your boot drive with all of that data.

B.) The following depends on how you store your video projects during or after they are completed. In my current configuration I complete a project (or portion of) and create an .avi file of it. I then import this .avi file into another program to create the DVD menu and burn the disc. The .avi files start storing up quickly, especially with back-up copies. Sure, you may intend to wipe these off your hard drive ASAP but I've found that it's much easier to keep the .avi (you can create an .avi of the project then dump the footage) for a while just in case I need/want to burn another copy or use the file with another on a seperate DVD. This is enough to bog down your 160 itself without having to harbor footage.

C.) More is better. Always.

Nice little camera you have, too.

Wait, you don't have a designated video card? Yeah... you may want to look into that.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 19, 2005 at 12:13:01 am

JOEVIKINGS: One other question I have.

I read here a few times that a Video card that is intergrated with the Mother board is bad. How so, why? I thought the Video card is just for viewing the video not actually anything to do with producing it. Please explain.

Onboard video cards use system resources, specifically memory, to function. It's like a power drain on your performance... not to mention most integrated chips just stink regardless. You're also missing cool featuers like dual monitors, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]