FORUMS: list search recent posts

Processor Question:

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gray
Processor Question:
on Aug 17, 2005 at 2:48:36 pm

I noticed that on the mobo I want, the ASUS P5AD2-E Premium, shows that it's CPU type is Intel Pentium 4 EE HT/Pentium 4/Celeron.

However, I am ordering a 3.4 GHz P4 650 Prescott.

Now, the ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe mobo clearly states it's CPU type is Intel Pentium 4 EE HT/Pentium 4 Prescott/Celeron D.

Do I have a core compatibility issue here? The Deluxe mobo only has 4 SATA ports while the Premium has 8, which I like. But I'm unsure if the core (Prescott vs. Celeron?) matters and I don't know which way to go. Want to order this system this morning so this is a last minute thing. Any help???

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Processor Question:
on Aug 18, 2005 at 12:27:30 am

If you want to purchase the the Intel 650, why arn't you purchasing the latest MOBO like the P5WD2 Premium. It has the latest chipset, capable of 64bit just like the CPU you have picked.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 19, 2005 at 12:11:17 am

He doesn't necessarily need the most expensive chipset. The 955x is sort of a niche product. It's not necessarily any newer, either than the 925 - just has different capabilities, all of which seem to fit just fine with what he is saying...

You'll have no problem with that processor and board.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Aug 19, 2005 at 1:25:08 am

Yeah but the 925 boards won't do 64bit windows, correct? So why build a new computer with a MOBO if you won't be able to put 64bit OS on it next year.

My understanding from Intel is the 955 and 945 boards will handle 64bit.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 19, 2005 at 1:30:20 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

I was leaning toward the 650 Prescott but made the final choice to go with the 550 Prescott; the non-64 bit CPU. The bottom line was I wanted the mobo more than I wanted the 650 or 64 bit compatibility. The newer chipset on the other ASUS would be more forward thinking, yes, but I needed the other mobos 8 SATA ports. Well, 7 of them at least.

Worst case scenario is I upgrade in the next couple years with a new mobo and processor to support the latest Windows.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Aug 19, 2005 at 11:06:23 pm

I thought the 550J was no cheaper than the 650 and the 550 was missing a function that all the others had. PLUS I think 550(J) were only 1 MB cache vs 2MB cache for the P4 600 line (650). You get more bang for your buck with the P 650 vs the 550 line. (my 2 cents)

Sorry I never saw in your original post that you needed more than 4 or 5 internal SATA ports on a motherboard. Well if you need 6-8 ports, P5AD2-E Premium would be a good motherboard to get.

Have you looked at gigabyte's 81995x royal. When I reasearched it .. I thought it had 6 SATA ports. (not sure if they were all RAIDable.)

And yes, every 2 to 2.5 years we seem to upgrade our computers, I am just hope the NLE companies will have 64bit programs for NAB. (wishful thinking!) I wont be buying 64Bit OS until Adobe (I use Premeire) has a 64bit version.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 20, 2005 at 1:21:10 pm

Exactly. That's why I'm not even concerned with 64-bit right now. I'm just excited to get out of my 2002 Gateway (complete with a whopping 512MB of Rambus memory) and into something far more specific for heavy volume filmmaking. Currently I have to shut down the PC every 30-60 minutes when Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus starts to get shaky and every editor knows that it takes that long just to start getting into your groove! VERY excited to get the new comp... (and now my wife will never again ask "when can I use the computer...")

With that said, I had no idea there some "missing function" issue with the 550. I briefly looked over the 550J and for some reason thought the 550 was a better buy. Not sure why. This week has been a blur with trying to finalize my components. I guess overall the 650 would have been "better" but for $270, the 550 seemed perfect. Besides, I'm running a 2.4 now so I'll be experiencing an upgrade either way.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Aug 20, 2005 at 2:19:56 pm

Regarding processors: here is a link to Intel: http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm#p4htt ( I hope it works.)

550 lacks "Execute disable bit" (which is something to prevent virus/ worms from doing "too much" damage) Considering I edit w/o virus programs and very very very rarely let my NLE computer have access the internet, it might come in handy, but I hope i will never need to see, first hand, what that function does.

re cost:
just doing a pricewatch search yields

650 $274 at newegg
550J $276 at newegg
550 $270-276 (newegg 276)

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 20, 2005 at 5:01:52 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I don't plan on doing any internet on this new machine as well. The one we have now will remain online. If I ever do connect the new one, it'll be to just download updates the easy way. But I would have to physically plug the phone line in.

Actually the Newegg price for the 550 just shot back up to $314! I ordered mine from there on Thursday and when I looked yesterday, the list price was back up. My order was good for $270 though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]