FORUMS: list search recent posts

Date and Time Stamp

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JDSelph
Date and Time Stamp
on Aug 15, 2005 at 2:36:28 pm

I currently have Pinnacle Studion 9 Plus and have been using Pinnacle for quite some time. I have the need to import video from a Panasonic Mini DV camcorder and retain the date and time stamp for legal purposes. I am aware that DV camcorders do not embed the data onto the video stream, but I need to know if there is a solution other than transferring the video to an analog source prior to capturing it to the computer.
Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

JDSelph
Date and Time Stamp
on Aug 17, 2005 at 6:09:51 pm

Here's what I've been able to find out. There is a product called DVdate that will superimpose the original date/time stamp onto the video. It functions as a standalone application so it's not a plug-in, but it does work. What you have to do is run the captured footage through this program before you bring it into the edit mode. Something happens once you edit and save the footage that apparently disables the ability to add the time code. Fortunately, the program does not affect the original file. It creates a new file of the same footage with the time code in it, and appends "in" to the back of the file name. The bad news is that it creates a new file which means it takes up twice the space. It's free for individual use and is available at:
http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm
No connection to the product or author, just passing on the info.
Thanks and if anyone finds a better way or product, please let me know.
John

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
Re: Date and Time Stamp
on Dec 14, 2005 at 1:38:07 am

Dear JDSelph,
GREAT link/software. Very easy to use. However how does one put in the "time code" instead of the "date time" or how does one put in both.
I am thinking time code so the clent can give be an edit list.
Yours,
Tom

Return to posts index

JDSelph
Date/Time Stamp
on Dec 14, 2005 at 4:26:46 am

Tom,
I'm not sure if that is possible using this particular piece of software. I have contacted the author and found him to be very helpful, so I would recommend that you ask him if it is possible. My requirements were to make sure that the original date and time stamp remained with the video for legal reasons (i.e. surveillance video used in courts), although we never really pursued the matter very much since no one ever really contested the evidence.
HTH,
John

PS, Please let me know what you find out, and if you come up with a solution, I like the idea of using the timecode for "customer edit list".

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Dec 17, 2005 at 1:45:24 pm

I am not sure which camera you have but my DVC30 has menu options to output the time date on the video image. (I never sent it out through the firewire, but I assume since it come out the analog jacks.. it will be the same for 1394)

going off memory. under the display menu you can show TD or not.
under the record menu you can record ie burn it on the video image or not.

not sure if that helps

Return to posts index

JDSelph
Date/Time Stamp
on Dec 17, 2005 at 5:29:05 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check and see if the cameras at work have that capability. If so, it will save me hours of work.
John

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Dec 18, 2005 at 5:00:10 am

There is "Time Date" then there is "Time Code" two entirely different ideas/concepts.
Time Date: September 26, 2006
9:20 Am
This is in analogue in the lower right or left corner of the frame and cane be on or off as the tape is recording.
The same is with Digital like my Canon GL2.
However when I use Adobe Premire Pro 1.5 and the camera downloads through the fire wire this information is NOT transferred for display. ONLY if I download via analogue out puts on the GL2 to my Premire 6.5.
Now time code is hours, minutes, seconds, frames.
Something like 1:30:09:03 = one hour, 30 minutes,nine seconds, three frames.
Now I know my GL2 has timecode but with premeir or this special discussed software I am unable to distplay the time "burn in a window" for client choices of footage. Either Scenalizer or one other piece of stoft ware that actually does this time code but then is an actual peice of video that is over layed and is a HUGE file/avi video.
The discussed softwares "draw back" is that it make a copy of the "DATE, Time" burn in on a duplicate copy. When I look at the information of the video it lets you know if the there is date time avalailable and if time code is available. On my system it tells me date time is available but NA (not available) for the time code EVEN though I seem to be able to see in PP1.5 time line the time code above it but not on the image.
So my question to the author was if the time code was available could I choose that display instead of the DATE TIME code.
Whew! I think I just fried what was left of my brain.
So with my system I can have the DATE TIME code burned in and choose a place in the frame of my choice on PP1.5 or do analogue and have the default display of the DATE TIME code.
Anyone have an answere.??
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Feb 3, 2006 at 11:04:13 pm

Is this a dead issue?

Return to posts index

JDSelph
Time Date vs Time Code
on Feb 4, 2006 at 5:06:16 am

Tom,
Sorry no one answered, and although I am far from being an expert on this, I'll try. Please bear with me on this since I'm trying to make sure we are on the same page.

Date and time imprints are usually either on or off. In analog output, the date/time stamp is combined with the footage to document the specific date and time the footage was taken. It actually becomes part of the footage. On digital output, the date/time information is contained on a separate control track and can be turned on or off at random, even after the footage is out of the camera (for instance on a digital video recorder).
Time code, on the other hand, is usually not part of an analog recording and is normally applied by the editing hardware, if so equipped. It is my understanding that some/most digital cameras now create and maintain the time code on the control track as well. But, time code is a relative factor and is really only used to be able to identify or locate a specific place in the footage. It really doesn't matter when or where it is applied to the footage, as long as it is consistant from that point forward.
You are correct in your descriptions of the differences. Date/Time stamps indicate the specific date and time that the footage was captured, whereas Timecode identifies the footage by hour:minute:second:frame.

Your particular hardware/software combination will dictate whether or not you can make the time code that is contained on the control track visible or not. My combination, PC with Pinnacle Studio 9+, creates it's own timecode sequence when clips are imported into the timeline and does not allow imprinting that code on the footage. As far as the date/time info, if it's not already on the footage, there is no way that my combination will imprint it.
My specific needs were to document WHEN a particular piece of footage was obtained, and because the videographer was using a camera in MiniDV format and the output was captured using Dazzle or Firewire into Studio (we did not have a DVR at the time), we had no way to combine the date/time info on the control track with the actual footage. I searched and found the DV Date product and it exactly filled my needs.
I'm not sure if the timecode can be accessed like the date/time, but if both are contained on the control track, I see no reason why you couldn't place the timecode on the footage.
I know this is a bit longwinded, and I virtually repeated what you wrote, but I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing and along the same lines.
Also, since my last response, I have not yet had a chance to check the cameras at work. I am in the New Orleans area and we still have not been able to get back into our building for more than a few minutes since the hurricanes. Plus, my office is on the 14th floor and we still don't have full electricity or elevators!!
John

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Feb 4, 2006 at 7:54:47 am

JDSelph,
Yes, we are on the same page and thank you for taking the time, especially inspite of your conditions, and WOW a 14 flight walk up! ! ! !
We had Andrew down here in the southern outskirts of Miami, but nothing like your big winds and especially your flooding. Personally my famliy was lucky. Lots of hurricane war stories, especially the dumb governement.
Take care. It will be a while before you guys even begin to approach "normalcy".
All the best to and your family.
Yours,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]