FORUMS: list search recent posts

L2 Cache reporting question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
slimy lime
L2 Cache reporting question
on Aug 13, 2005 at 10:26:03 pm

sorry to start another thread but i'm afraid this question might go unread in my other one regarding my new set-up...

i'm planning on buying an asus p5wd2 premium mobo with an pentium d 830. i've read complaints about this mobo only reporting 1MB of L2 cache (the processor has 1MB X 2...one for each core) but shouldn't it only recognize/report 1MB and not a total of 2MB?

thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: L2 Cache reporting question
on Aug 14, 2005 at 1:12:20 pm

My understanding ( which I think is just like yours) it has 1 MB of cache for each core. Since there are 2 cores on the CPU.. there is 2 total MB of Cache.
The only thing I wish this CPU had was 2MB cache for each core. ie 4 total.

So to answer your question: you would think so. What complaints do you see that only 'sees' 1 mb total when added up?
My theory of what people are seeing: You only sees 1mb of cache for each 'CPU' which really means each core. Which is correct. The cores do not share or 'split' the cache. It is like each bedroom having their own bathroom verses sharing one larger bathroom.

Intel makes a CPU ID software that will let you see everything on the CPU. So if you are really questioning the CPU...download the program from http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Support_Intel.aspx#

I hope the link works. llok under processor.

Return to posts index

slimy lime
Re: L2 Cache reporting question
on Aug 14, 2005 at 2:51:40 pm

first, thanks for the response and for providing the link to intel.

secondly, the complaints that i read were just reviews at online stores. i'm thinking along the same lines as you are and assumed that the complaints were from those not thinking things thru all the way, i just wanted to get some other thoughts on the subject. i'll definitely download the intel tool and check things out. thanks so much again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]