FORUMS: list search recent posts

Official response: new 'gamer' video card is best!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rowdy Rod
Official response: new 'gamer' video card is best!!
on Aug 12, 2005 at 6:44:43 pm

I called Pinnacle with the question of which video card I should install in my new editing station--the Quadro 4400 or the GeForce 7800. I was told that the Quadro supported Open GL, and in the past most 'gamer' cards did not.

HOWEVER---then new nVidia 6800 and 7800 do support Open GL 2.0, and have 256 RAM.

The Pinnacle tech support gentleman actually recoommended the use of the 7800 GTX over a Quadro card.

So--with this information in mind, would you guys change the reccomendation in the DIY3 to a 7800 instead of a Quadro?

And how about this to boot:
The 7800 GTX is around $500 and the Quadro 4400 is around $1500!!!
It's a no brainer!

Or I am I the one with no brain?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Official response: new 'gamer' video card is best!!
on Aug 13, 2005 at 12:23:03 am

Pinnacle software works better with ATI cards than nVidia.
About 3 years ago Pinnacle and ATI forged a partnership and they started working together. When Liquid Edition 5 came out with GPU real-time effects, it was a direct result of this co-engineering. As a result, Liquid Edition 6 delivers more real-time GPU performance with ATI gaming cards over Quadro cards. And LE6 needs 256 megs graphic cards for real-time 1080i HDV editing.

Gary

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 15, 2005 at 11:25:08 pm

Gary, do you think your ATI vs. Nvidia still applies to someone like RowdyRod who is simply considering the newest Geforce versus the newest Radeon? Do you think there is really a performance or functionality difference between Radeon vs. Geforce for Pinnacle? Could be, but I am confused as to why the Pinnacle tech would not have mentioned it.

I do believe however that the real key is that for Pinnacle a workstation card is not necessary. For some software, it is, but for Pinnacle software it seems that a mainstream/gaming card will simply get you the better bang for buck = same performance for cheaper than Quadro or FireGL.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 16, 2005 at 1:10:22 am

Either an ATI or nVidia 256MB killer gaming card is going to work great with LE6.

The better functionality with ATI is from tweaks and optimization in the actual code/drivers for LE6. New nVidia cards may be great, but we'll still recommend an ATI card with similar specs over the nVidia equiv.

My point is that a 256MEG gaming card is a better fit for LE6 than a killer Quadro card with only 128MB.

Gary

Return to posts index

cygnet74
on Aug 16, 2005 at 8:39:16 am

forgive my ignorance, but would this also apply for a DIY3 running Avid Xpress Pro cutting DVCPROHD footage? if not, what card would be necessary?

Return to posts index

Rowdy Rod
Lurker posts again.....
on Aug 16, 2005 at 4:49:32 pm

Hey guys,

Yo're correct guys, I'm building a top shelf HDV video editing system for work, and I'm just interested in the latest and fastest(unless the latest and fastest don't perform as well). HDV in Liquid Edition just tuckers our current system out. (Side note: I think I'll put a new threadout there regarding the components of this 'dream system', and the recommendations made by Pinnacle tech support.)

So....

I called Pinnancle again--different tech similar yet more detailed response.

This gentleman also said that The Quadro card was not needed and that the nVidia 7800GT would indeed be a better choice.

---HOWEVER, he did say that although the ATI X800 it was slower (in bench tests and gaming applications) than the nVidia 7800, and since this will be an video editing exclusive station he would choose the x800.
As stated earlier, ATI and Pinnacle work closely together in driver development, and therefore produce a safer, more stable working environment(in theory). And, since Liquid Edition really doesn't take full advantage of all of the x800 or the 7800's power anyway, he personally would go with the ATI X800(it is also less expensive) for this application.

8)

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 20, 2005 at 1:27:50 pm

This is good info. Nice job on the research! Answered some lingering questions I had.

Although I just got a hold of the Adobe Video Collection Pro package, I am quite intimidated by it and was thinking of still picking up Pinnalce LE. I've had great experiences with the Studio programs and am hoping it's a little easier to convert to LE than Premiere Pro. I'll use both, but I'd like to take more time to adjust to the Adobe learning curve before I use it. Especially since I NEVER GET A FREAKING BREAK FROM THIS STUPID BUSINESS THAT I ACCIDENTALLY STARTED!!!

Sorry. Work overload.

Return to posts index

thinman
on Aug 28, 2005 at 1:25:35 pm

Ok guys, as you can tell I am the new kid on the block and have been reading your answers but don't know if the answer to the ATI cards will apply to my situation. I am getting a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 with 3.2ghz, 800fsb and 2g of memory. The card is an ATI Radeon X850 XT PE. I did not order any software but have been thinking about Avid Express DV or Adobe. My question is, when is your video card good enough that you do not need an accelerator card or do you alway have to have one with certain software such as those mentioned above? Thanks

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 30, 2005 at 2:56:25 pm

I have the Radeon X850XT P myself and it's awesome with Adobe. Haven't tested anything else on it yet. No add-ons needed.

It's accompanied by these specs:
P4 Prescott 650 3.4GHz
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Mobo
Ultra DDR2 533 Dual Channel Memory (2GB)
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250GB hard drives x4
SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Enermax Noisetaker 600W PSU

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]