FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox and Dell

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wordist
Matrox and Dell
on Aug 5, 2005 at 4:24:30 pm

Will the Matrox cards (RT.X10 or X100) work with my new Dell Precision 380? (P4-D830, 1GB SD2 RAM, 160 GB dedicated SATA 7200rpm HD, WinXP Pro SP2)

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: Matrox and Dell
on Aug 5, 2005 at 11:43:58 pm

Don't they know? After all, if they are going to support you, they should be able to answer that simple question.

Return to posts index

Wordist
Guess I'll Keep Looking...
on Aug 6, 2005 at 7:25:01 pm

tantuscomputers: Don't they know? After all, if they are going to support you, they should be able to answer that simple question.

...until I can find a more friendly forum.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 7, 2005 at 5:28:08 am

Ach! That's not what I meant. I think my gist is that for Dell to be a viable candidate for your editing system, they should be able to support your activities. They should be able to answer a compatibility question like that for you. Honestly, they would be the best place to find that information, as no one else can really give you a definitive answer unless they are using the exact same system as you... Even if its the same model, there are more variables involved. The Matrox is finicky to say the least.

Another option would be to call Matrox. If they've certified the system for that particular computer, they would let you know.

Return to posts index

Wordist
Matrox, Dell and Who Should Know
on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:04:17 am

Actually, this is the kind of information I would expect the maker or seller of a peripheral card (e.g., capture card) to research and make available to prospective buyers, the same as I would expect Dell to do in the case of products Dell makes and sells.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:34:42 am

Which Matrox does do. They have a compatible list of hardware on their website. However, he wants to know if RTX works in his Dell, and Matrox hasn't certified that computer, then DELL is the one to ask. Matrox cannot possibly certify every computer on the planet. Just like Dell cannot certify every hardware device for use with their computers.

Return to posts index

Wordist
So why does Matrox discriminate against Dell (HP, etc)?
on Aug 10, 2005 at 3:10:42 am

Dell makes more PCs than any other company, hands down. So clearly Matrox is discriminating in favor of "aftermaket" board makers, such as ASUS and Intel. Which Matrox has every right to do; it just makes life more difficult for the "average buyer" and supports an industry segment of system integrators.

Now the picture becomes clear.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 10, 2005 at 3:38:09 am

Why would Matrox 'discriminate' against Dell if Dell makes more computers than anyone else? Matrox doesn't make any more money if someone puts their Matrox card into a non-Dell computer. I can't see how what you are saying would make sense at all and if you looked on Matrox's website, you'd see a list of certified Dell models right along side the list of their certified system integrators.

If there was any reason Matrox would 'discriminate' in favor of systems integrators, which they don't, it would be because system integrators actually support the Matrox card, where Dell doesn't.

And as far as 'aftermarket' board makers go, where do you think Dell gets THEIR motherboards? You think they make them? No, they go to the same companies that retail motherboards, just to companies that make the stuff dirt cheap and as stripped down as possible.

Return to posts index

Wordist
Matrox, Dell and Who Should Know
on Aug 10, 2005 at 4:51:54 am

Didn't mean to start an argument, but since you persist... .

For the RT.x10, Matrox lists only two Dell systems and 3 for HP, whereas there are no less than 7 ASUS motherboards, an equal number of Intel boards, and six others from names such as AOPen, ECS, Gigabyte, Leadtek, and Tyan. Names known to few people outside the OEM community. There's no argument. Matrox has a right to do business the way it wants, and supporting the integrators makes sense for the very reasons you cited.

It's just good to know the rules of the game beforehand. I have nothing against Matrox, I'll just keep looking for options that fit the game I prefer to play.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]