FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual-channel DDR2 configuration

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD Hogg
Dual-channel DDR2 configuration
on Jul 29, 2005 at 5:26:42 am

I have a rather simple question, but my mobo manual is a little unclear on the memory config. (Asus P5WD2 Premium)
I want to run a matched pair of DDR2 memory in dual channel mode...So, do I insert the memory in slots:

A1 (yellow slot) & A2 (black slot)
or
A1 (yellow slot) & B1 (yellow slot)

The manual has this table:
Channel A --- DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2
Channel B --- DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2

Do I match a memory pair with the letters or colors? A prompt response would be most helpful. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Dual-channel DDR2 configuration
on Jul 29, 2005 at 2:02:27 pm

fill up channel A first. ie colors

Be sure to know your CAS settings and voltage for that so you can set it up in BIOS. Motherboards will underclock them as a default. (why run slower than you have too)

be sure to download a stress test program so you know all the hardware is running well at what ever setting they are set at. Prime95 has a 64bit version incase your running 64bit.

Return to posts index

JD Hogg
on Jul 29, 2005 at 4:36:16 pm

I got this info on MaxPC forums... "In other words, you put the RAM in the same colored slots to enable dual-channel on that motherboard (yellow and yellow or black and black)." ...that makes sence.

"Be sure to know your CAS settings and voltage for that so you can set it up in BIOS."
Is that info in the RAM's docs or the mobo manual?

This is my 1st build so I'm a little "Green", but I'm doing it by the book, not cutting corners, and learning very fast!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 29, 2005 at 10:24:26 pm

Ram Doc---> RAM manufacturer... assuming you bought mid to high end RAM it should tell you. OR the place you bought it from should be able to tell you. Sometimes the website mentions. If you can't find it or you bought generic- value RAM then you may never get the numbers/ settings... so you go with the motherboard's default settings.

The better ram will have a 4 digit number with dashes printed on the sticks. (usually found on the sticker)
example: 4-4-4-12.

Motherboard owners' manual should tell you how to set the numbers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]