FORUMS: list search recent posts

neither Premier nor P. Elements Pentium D aware??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chachacharlie
neither Premier nor P. Elements Pentium D aware??
on Jul 27, 2005 at 7:39:10 pm

Called Adobe's customer service 800 number. They said neither Premier nor Premier Elements will recognize a new Pentium D as a dual processor configuration.

Are they correct?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: neither Premier nor P. Elements Pentium D aware??
on Jul 29, 2005 at 1:31:10 pm

i would say that is correct.

- Jon

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: neither Premier nor P. Elements Pentium D aware??
on Aug 2, 2005 at 10:03:52 pm

Maybe they misunderstood or were unclear... ? Any software that recognized and made us of dual processors BEFORE they got put onto a single chip, will recognize it now. It is PHYSICALLY two chips in one...

I also checked the Adobe forums and there were a few mentions of this same question with them saying YES.

Return to posts index

chachacharlie
Premiere Elements IS Pentium D aware!
on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:04:34 pm

[size=18:9e6811c630]Decided to go ahead and build a Pentium D 830 system with ASUS P5WD2 mobo. Installed Premiere Elements, and splash screen declares "2 processors" detected.

ASUS' AI Booster application shows a bar graph for each core, and utilization for both jumps to 90%+ when rendering.

If Elements sees and uses both cores, I would have to assume the "grownup" version does too.

Return to posts index

z4mat
Re: Premiere Elements IS Pentium D aware!
on Aug 24, 2005 at 1:19:32 am

chachacharlie: [size=18:e0eb251918]Decided to go ahead and build a Pentium D 830 system with ASUS P5WD2 mobo. Installed Premiere Elements, and splash screen declares "2 processors" detected.

ASUS' AI Booster application shows a bar graph for each core, and utilization for both jumps to 90%+ when rendering.

If Elements sees and uses both cores, I would have to assume the "grownup" version does too.

How do you find the system speed? I am picking up my new PC tomorrow with similar specs, Pentium D 830 system with ASUS P5WD2. Can't wait.

Return to posts index

chachacharlie
ASUS P5WD2 performance
on Aug 24, 2005 at 6:26:38 am

1) Speed: seems (as it should) incredibly faster at rendering than my existing "video hopeless" system, a 2G Athlon XP with 512mb ram. A 1/2 hour movie that took overnight to render with the old sytem was done in less than 1 hour with the new one.

I intend to take a short avi and render previews and a DVD on both systems and time them, and will post results when I do.

2) Observation 1: Pentium D runs as hot as blazes, especially with rendering loading up both cores near 100% for, potentially, hours. Certainly getting to the very high 60'sC, even hitting 70.

Replaced Intel cooler with Artic Freezer 7 and Artic Silver 5 thermal compound. Made things quieter and cooled things off by 3-4 degrees. If I want to overclock - and it is incredibly easy with this mobo - I will probably have to consider water cooling the cpu.

3) Observation 2: memory issues. I found a great deal on 1G Crucial Ballistic ram modules, a part that Crucial approved for this board. I figured 4G of ram might be more cost effective than a Pentium D Extreme, or even an 840. However, it is unclear how much of this is being recognized and used.

BIOS sees 4096M. System Info sees the same physically installed. But System Properties and some other tools only show 3.0xG installed. ASUS said it was an Intel 955x chipset issue. Intel said talk to ASUS. Crucial reconfirmed the modules should work, and the fact that BIOS & SysInfo sees all 4G is reassuring.

It may, in the end, be a Windows XP issue. Microsoft has an article on this subject, ID # 888137 -- but NO solution!

Any tips from hardware experts on this issue would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]