FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Card for Pinnacle LE?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gray
Video Card for Pinnacle LE?
on Jul 26, 2005 at 4:12:29 pm

Does anyone have a current recommendation for the best video card to get for Pinnacle LE? I'm looking in the $300-$400 range.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Video Card for Pinnacle LE?
on Jul 27, 2005 at 1:31:36 pm

After some indy research, I see where the DIY2 recommends the PNY Quadro 540 or above. I do not want to spend $600+ for the Quadro 1300 and I'm wondering if a 256MB "gaming" card might be a better buy than the Quadro 540? I am definitely going with Pinnacle LE but am stuck on which card to buy.

Will have a 3.4GHz processor and over 2 GB of RAM. Was considering an Xfx Nvidia GeForce 6800 card. Would the Quadro 540 offer me an advantage?

Please help!

Return to posts index

Sebastian_Productions
Pinnacle NLE systems work best with:
on Jul 27, 2005 at 11:54:15 pm

PInnacle Liquid pro or any liquid edition works best with a radeon graphics card set-up because of the relationship it has with direct x9 (pinnacle uses direct x9 and so does the radeon video cards) I personally have had minor problems with force cards and pinnacle. Ebay has ati radeon 800 cards for around your price preferences but newegg.com has really good prices on better cards. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Jul 28, 2005 at 4:16:05 pm

Appreciate that.

I checked out Newegg.com and found that most of the components I had planned on getting through Tiger-Direct were a little less expensive there.

I located a PNY GeForce 6800 card that uses DirectX9 and is Open GL 2.0 with 256MB.

At $324, this looks like it fits all the needs I have.. would this be correct?

Return to posts index

Sebastian_Productions
you can try it
on Jul 28, 2005 at 5:02:04 pm

I would like to think it would work. I personally haven't used G-force because of the problems I had, but it wasn't direct 9 friendly. I say go with your gut feeling and if it doesn't work, there is always e-bay to get your money back. Post in this blog and let me know how it is working for you, I wouldn't mind haveing g-force cards in a few of my systems ( I used them for years until I switched to pinnacle LE pro.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jul 29, 2005 at 11:38:09 pm

from our DIY3 article:

Pinnacle Liquid Edition will take advantage of OpenGL performance, but for HDV 1080i editing you have to have at least 256 megs of RAM. We have also seen the ATI graphics cards tend to work a little better with Pinnacle software. This is because of the close co-operationt he two companies have shared over the past few years. So if Liquid Edition is your NLE of choice, get an ATI X800/X700 3D card with 256 megs of RAM.

Gary

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 1, 2005 at 11:45:49 am

Thanks for complicating matters!!

So does this mean the PNY card I am currently looking at won't function as efficiently as an ATI card? What's the difference? If it's OpenGL and 256MB, where can I go wrong? What would be the benefits of finding an ATI card as opposed to going with the PNY? I'm not doubting, I'm just confused!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 1, 2005 at 12:00:17 pm

For reference, here are the two cards I would be selecting from then:

· ATI 100-435513 Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Core clock: 400MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Memory Clock: 980MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
PixelPipelines: 16
TV-Out: HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO: No
· Model #: 100-435513
· Item #: N82E16814102543

OR

· PNY VCG6800GXPB Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Core clock: 350MHz
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 2
Memory Clock: 1000MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
RAMDAC: 400 MHz
TV Tuner: No
TV-Out: S-Video Out
VIVO: No
· Model #: VCG6800GXPB
· Item #: N82E16814133140

I like the dual DVI of the PNY. But I'm not even sure I would move to a two-monitor set up since I do okay with one. Otherwise I'm lost on which is better. The PNY is higher on the core clock but the ATI is slightly better with the Memory clock. If it's just a compatability issue and the recommendation is ATI, fine. I would just appreciate a little more info on why.

Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 3, 2005 at 9:47:19 pm

QTofW: The PNY is higher on the core clock but the ATI is slightly better with the Memory clock.

Don't even bother comparing graphics cards by clock speeds. There are as many variables that determine performance in graphics cards as a whole computer.

Grab the ATI card per Gary's recommendation, and if you can drop the "XL" you'll probably be better off. That XL is ATI speak for "not as good as a real X800". But your budget will be the determining factor there.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 6, 2005 at 4:11:12 pm

Okay... let me try this again...

After extensive research and price checking, I've found a Connect 3D Radeon X850XT Platinum (256MB, GDDR3, PCIe w/ D9 and OpenGL) video card for $349.99 at Tigerdirect. I've read that Connect 3D is closely related to ATI and they use the same chipsets. If so, would I be safe going this route with Pinnacle LE?

Sheesh this is a lot of work. Thanks for your combined help!

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Aug 6, 2005 at 6:07:15 pm

That seems awfully inexpensive for that card.... Connect3D isn't exactly a "name-brand"... I'm really not sure.

It's probably same approximate performance as other manufacturers of the same card, but I think you might have to consider the purchase also from a support, quality, and warranty standpoint. I don't know anything about that company so I can't comment further.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 12, 2005 at 12:02:56 pm

The card is supposedly made by or is the sister company of ATI. Tigerdirect shows the card is $250 off, making it the price of $349.99. So I don't know. But the specs meet my needs and if it's made by ATI, I'm willing to give it a shot for the money. Unless someone else knows something I don't.

Return to posts index

Rowdy Rod
An answer!!
on Aug 12, 2005 at 6:39:44 pm

I called Pinnacle with the same question. I was told that the Quadro supported Open GL, and in the past most 'gamer' cards did not.

HOWEVER---then new nVidia 6800 and 7800 do support Open GL 2.0, and have 256 RAM.

The Pinnacle tech support gentleman actually recoommended the use of the 7800 GTX over a Quadro card.

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Aug 13, 2005 at 3:01:19 pm

Well, the 7800 is the latest thing I believe. It's probably awesome. I was advised against the 6800 and told the Radeon series was the most compatible with LE so I found one that was OpenGL, DirectX9 and a higer end Radeon...for $350.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]