FORUMS: list search recent posts

SATA 10,000RPM(software) + SATA 7200RPM(storage)???

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danesch
SATA 10,000RPM(software) + SATA 7200RPM(storage)???
on Jul 7, 2005 at 4:05:14 am

I am looking at getting a SATA 150 74G 10,000RPM hard drive to run my software. (Windows XP Pro, Adobe Video Collection Pro, etc.)

And a SATA 150 320G 7,200RPM hard drive to use as video storage.

Will this work... SATA both a 7,200RPM and a 10,000RPM?

I considered getting an external for storage, but they are making cheaper internal ones that hold so much now days. I'll never fill the 320G. Besides, I can always buy a cheapy 40G external to transport projects if need be.

I just wanna know if SATAing them together is the common way to set-up an editing station or if you should SATA one and Raid the other or what ever. I'm new to this...

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: SATA 10,000RPM(software) + SATA 7200RPM(storage)???
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:31:55 pm

There is nothing wrong with running multiple different speeds/brands/types of hard drives in the same computer.

If you are editing video, you will fill the 320GB. I guarantee it.

Just a quick clarification on external hard drives : They are physically internal hard drives in a chassis with an adapter to go to firewire or USB. Internal hard drives will always have the same technology available as external drives and will always be cheaper (because you don't have to pay for the extra cost of the chassis).

I'm confused about what "SATAing" them together means... Your questions are typical of all people getting into video. Storage questions are very common. Search through the forum threads and I think you'll find your answer discussed many times before (I know, because I've answered them many times before in this forum).

Return to posts index

danesch
on Jul 11, 2005 at 8:18:20 pm

SATAing:
Using a SATA Drive for software and another SATA Drive for storage.

Is this the most common set-up? Or do most people go with a different set-up? I'm surfing past threads to find my answer as we speak, but if someone knows.... Tha'd help!!! :?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

danesch
on Jul 11, 2005 at 8:29:49 pm

We still have yet to fill our 300GB Raid at work. I edit on a Media 100 system at work. If I continue to do regular cleaning/deleting of past projects, one 320GB HD should do me just fine for the time being. On the day that I go High Deffinition, then I will need to upgrade to a 1TB external.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Jul 15, 2005 at 11:42:27 pm

danesch: We still have yet to fill our 300GB Raid at work. I edit on a Media 100 system at work. If I continue to do regular cleaning/deleting of past projects, one 320GB HD should do me just fine for the time being. On the day that I go High Deffinition, then I will need to upgrade to a 1TB external.

Why does everyone thing they have to go external to go to the next level with their storage needs?! ARGH! Smile
You can EASILY accomplish your storage needs internally, and you well SHOULD! Assuming you have a quality machine with appropriate cooling and power.

Yes, you should separate your program drive and your storage drives.

Return to posts index

danesch
on Jul 19, 2005 at 8:17:30 pm

[quote]Why does everyone thing they have to go external to go to the next level with their storage needs?! ARGH! :)

Transporting Projects. I will not have a professional deck to dump my projects to, so I either have to go straight to DVD or back out composite.

My situation is different than other DV shooters. I will be shooting on DVC Pro, coming directly out of my camera via COMPOSITE BNC, into a DV converter box in order to digitize. I'm not gonna come back across a lousy composite cable. Bad enough I gotta capture from it to begin with. I don't have enough cash to be buying a DVC Professional deck, so it's this way or no way. So, if I want a Digi Beta or Beta or DVC Pro copy of my project, I have to transport it via an external hard drive.

For now I am fine with having internal, but if someone asks for a format I don't have, I either have to go buy a cheapy external, or burn a data disc to bring into a post house that can read it and make a copy. [/quote]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]