FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV to AVI (DVD) for archiving

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fganter
DV to AVI (DVD) for archiving
on Jul 4, 2005 at 3:30:16 pm

I'm surprised I did not see something on this in the forums already, so maybe I'm going about this the wrong way...

I'm trying to do something that one would think is simple - take video directly from my DV camera and write it directly to a DVD so I can later use it for video editing.

WinXP does not seem to allow this natively, and I can't seem to find any software that does it.

Questions:
- How do I write straight from DV camera to DVD? (I have fireware and Roxio software.)
- Am I going about this archival process correctly (i.e. is there another way I should be archiving video)? Of course, I could simply keep the DV tapes around, but DVDs are cheaper. Smile

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: DV to AVI (DVD) for archiving
on Jul 4, 2005 at 6:03:46 pm

You're describing the effort to stuff 20 pounds into a 10 pound bag. DV video uses 13 GB for every hour of video. A DVD holds 4.38 GB. You'd have to cut the video into pieces and write it to multiple DVD's in its native format.

I use a DVR to encode the video at 7 Mbps to a DVD. While it's not in a format that designed for editing, it is a good quality backup, that could be converted back to DV format, if the original tape fails.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]