FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox RT-x100 & raid

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spacguy
Matrox RT-x100 & raid
on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:17:53 pm

Does anyone know if the RT-X100 supports any kind of raid? Seems all I see is raid's they don't support?
I currently have a Promise 100 TX2 running with a Pinacle DV500DVD

P4GV-E
2.4g
1g

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Matrox RT-x100 & raid
on Jul 1, 2005 at 1:13:17 am

Realtime cards like the RT.X100 have very specific hardware requirements. If you go to their user forums, you'll read lots of horror stories from users that attempted to build a system that did NOT meet their system requirements.

The RT.X100 consumes enough PCI bandwidth that it won't work with any PCI bus based RAID. This includes motherboard RAID chips, because they are interfaced through the PCI bridge just like they were a card plugged into the bus. The RT.X100 does not require a RAID to function. In fact, you're more likely to drop frames using a RAID. The RT.X100 also doesn't like motherboards with built-in video.

If you want an RT.X100 system that works, build it EXACTLY per their recommendations.

Return to posts index

spacguy
on Jul 1, 2005 at 1:37:29 am

Thanks John.. I'll try.
Just the last NLE I built (Pinacle DVD500DV/Prem6.5) needed the speed.

Sticking with DV and going;
RT-X/PrepPro1.5/AE6.5

Gregg

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:48:09 am

We build systems using RAID with Matrox RTX all of the time. Some thoughts:

I 100% agree with John that RAID 0 is completely unnecessary when working with DV25 footage from a throughput standpoint... modern hard drives by themselves can easily handle the throughput. No problem.

ALL RAID chips that are integrated into motherboards are not necessarily using the PCI bus that the matrox is using. They may be using a different PCI bus, patched directly into the southbridge, or on a dedicated bus with some other devices. This varies widely from board to board. These chips CAN be used for RAID, but they need to be configured correctly - while SOME chips simply won't work.

Some users require RAID (for instance, RAID 5 is essential if using 4 or more hard drives - you absolutely need the protection). In this case, what is necessary is getting a board that has a segmented PCI bus, meaning it has more than one path for data to travel.

It's better to take issues like this on a case-per-case basis. The general answer, though, is Matrox does support RAID - it just has to be done correctly.

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
on Jul 10, 2005 at 12:55:16 am

Exactly.

I use a RAID5 in my RT.X100 editing rigs for content and captures because of their data redundency. 'tis truely a pain to lose all of ones projects just because some drive takes a hike.

On the other hand exports are done to a removable HDD connected to the primary slave IDE. That's all that is necessary for the RT.X100 other than a chipset with high PCI to host memory bandwidth. This type of bandwidth is largely a function of the NorthBridge to SouthBridge pipeline in the chipset. Intel or SiS chipsets fill that bill. VIA and NForce do not.

Anectodal:

I've suecesfully run the RT.X100 on a $50 mainboard (MSI 745 Ultra w/SiS 745 chipset) with an AthlonXP 2600+/266 and 1g of DDR/266, so a big-bad-bucks-to-the-wall rig is not a prerequisit.

A chipset with a high badnwidth NB/SB pipeline is, and price is not a realiable indicator of this piece of the performance puzzle.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Jul 11, 2005 at 4:28:50 pm

Terry Stetler: a big-bad-bucks-to-the-wall rig is not a prerequisit.

Not a pre-requisit, but helps when doing anything other than basic editing in Premiere. RTX100 comes with the whole Adobe suite - your creative flow is going to come to a screaming halt if you use a system with the specs you mentioned when multi-tasking AE, Premiere, and Photoshop + more

But regardless, the storage aspect of this should be cleared up for anyone that has those questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]