FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taking over 5 hours to burn a DVD.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dig_vid7
Taking over 5 hours to burn a DVD.
on Jun 30, 2005 at 3:53:00 pm

It took my system over 5 hours to burn one hour of video on a DVD using Premiere Pro 1.0. My burner is the Plextor PX-712A and the setting I chose in Premiere Pro 1.0 was NTSC DV High Quality 4 Mb VBR 2 Pass. I am running Windows xp SP1. My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz and I have over 1 Gig of RAM. Is over 5 hours too long for this setting? Thank you. Confused Confused :

Return to posts index

dig_vid7
Forgot something.
on Jun 30, 2005 at 6:53:08 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add this important item, I used a Maxell DVD-R disc certified at 2x. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Taking over 5 hours to burn a DVD.
on Jun 30, 2005 at 8:02:01 pm

thats definitely possible. 4:1 for the encoding then burning at 2x.

- Jon

Return to posts index

dig_vid7
Settings.
on Jun 30, 2005 at 10:00:27 pm

Would choosing 7Mb instead of 4 Mb speed up the burning process? Idea Confused :

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 1, 2005 at 1:24:31 am

Choosing 7 Mbps CBR 1 pass would give you video quality comparable to the 4 Mbps VBR 2 pass, but would take less time, because it's single pass. You'll easily fit 1 hour on a DVD using 7 Mbps CBR encoding.

You only need to go to a lower bitrate and possibly 2 pass encoding, if you're trying to stuff 2 hours onto a DVD.

P.S. Your encoding speed isn't too bad compared to the first ones I did on my 700 MHz PIII with the Ligos encoder. My encoding rate for single pass was 10 to 1. I'd start a transcoding job and come back the next day, which is why I jumped at the RT.X100 when it came out. It was a major improvement to get hardware-assisted realtime transcoding.

Return to posts index

dig_vid7
increase burn time
on Jul 1, 2005 at 1:42:18 am

Thanks John Q. Would upgrading to a faster processor decrease the burn time? And would choosing blank dvds rated at 8x make a difference?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 1, 2005 at 10:42:18 pm

If the processor was limiting your speed, a faster one would help. In this case, you'll find the limitations are probably disc I/O. An 8x dvd burn is faster than a 4x one, but not by much.

I chose the RT.X100 three years ago to get realtime transcoding capability, which was amazing then, especially compared to the software-based 10:1 transcoding I was doing then. With the speed of computers today, you can probably achieve this or nearly achieve this with just software. I'm running a dual Athlon 2100, which was really fast three years ago. I can tell you that Adobe optimizes its products for hyperthreading or dual processor Intel processors. If you were to upgrade, a hyperthreading P4 would be the most cost effective solution. Adobe uses a dual hyperthreading Xeon machine for their video product demos.

Return to posts index

dig_vid7
on Jul 2, 2005 at 2:26:53 am

Thanks John. I do want to upgrade. I will keep in mind about the dual processor and hyperthreading.

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on Jul 25, 2005 at 1:50:57 am

I'm running a DIY challenge-built editing computer I built from their first recommendations, (cost me about $600 as I already had the hard drives) and using PPro 1.5 it was taking me many many hours to hopefully burn a DVD of an hour or so. Then I tried the tryout version of Encore 1.5 and bang! the DVD is done in 20 minutes or so...

The DVD burning feature in Premiere Pro is an unfinished product, in my opinion.

The longest part of the creation process in Encore 1.5 is the transcoding, where it's being converted to an MPEG file, the burning part goes very fast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]