FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro VS Vegas 6

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rox44
Premiere Pro VS Vegas 6
on Jun 23, 2005 at 12:37:13 am

Hey all, I'm new to the forum - looks like a good place for to aquire some advice. I'm a DVStorm/Premiere 6.0 user with an IWILL MPX2 box. I primarily output short animations (2-5 minutes). From time to time I do some short (<15min) video editing projects also - no real fancy effects maybe 2-3 stationary PIP's and some text overlays and that's about it, so maybe the Storm was a bit of an overkill. I'm building a new IWILL DK8EW and the Storm is not compatible Shocked and so I'm probably abandoning that and looking into software NLE solutions.

First I checked Edius, but the Canopus forum is littered with people that are not impressed with Canopus/Edius Mad , and are going to Vegas and Premiere Pro - or using these as supplements to Edius. I'm not worried about learning new software, but I'd like to stick to one solution so I've shied away from Edius. I need to be able to create SD QuickTime movies, Windows AVI's, Windows wmv, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 for CD and DVD, from sequenced stills (tga's, jpeg's, bmp's, tiff's typically). Storm came with a variety of codec's so it was handy to customize my files (avi,mov) for my clients - is that do-able in Premiere or Vegas or will I need another package (I could probably just standardize to one of the common forms)? I'd also like to have the option to go HD for the future (even if it means adding CineForm or Gearshift etc). Anyone have any advice on Vegas or Premiere Pro?

I could probably score Adobe for the upgrade price since I have Premiere 6.0, but then I see that AC3 and 5.1 audio are trial and are another 3 bills, bringing the price back to the Vegas+DVD solution. I see that Vegas 6 is hyperthreaded now and I hear good things. I thought Premiere 6.0 claimed to be, but I was never impressed (on my 2XAMDMP2000 anyway) - not very efficient as apparent from looking at task manager and seeing both CPU's only being half utilized during MPEG-2 encoding. Has Premiere Pro gotten more efficient (using Opterons)?

Sorry to be so long winded Surprised ops: - I've been researching for the past few days and am full of details. I appreciate any time you have to give me your two cents on the issues. Thanks a ton.

Return to posts index

rox44
Re: Premiere Pro VS Vegas 6
on Jun 30, 2005 at 4:16:40 pm

I was reminded on the Canopus forum of trial versions - duh. I'll do my own testing - sorry for wasting space, air, and skin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]