FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help needed with POOR Performance! Please?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaincrunch
Help needed with POOR Performance! Please?
on Jun 11, 2005 at 12:27:48 pm

ASUS P4P8X SE MOBO
Intel P4/ 2.26g
2g RAM
GeForce FX5950 Ultra/256k Graphics card
MSPro7 +path3
Win2000 SP4 (tweaked as per this site recommendations)

First, in my playback options box, in "High Quality Playback", the only option I have is "VFW Playback Engine". I don't see options for DV/Preview window/ etc.

When running MSP and monitoring performance during timeline preview of .mpeg and/or .avi files I consistantly use 100%CPU, and my Avail Memory runs down to 95k and Commit Charge Total up to 99k.

Why is my CPU at 100%, tweaks says it should be no more than 80%

I get very poor playback if I try to overlay graphics.

I thought with this P4/2g/Graphics card setup I would be screaming!

Any thoughts as to what is wrong?

Return to posts index

wayl0n
Re: Help needed with POOR Performance! Please?
on Jun 11, 2005 at 5:48:59 pm

A good place to start....

Check CMOS on bootup, maybe even set back to factory default see if there is any difference. I know if you have the wrong settings for ram, or AGP speed, CPU speed, etc it will affect greatly. Also research the component manufactureres websites, see if there are any known issues, and you may as well download the latest drivers/patches while you are there. Also check for windows updates/sevice packs. As a last resort there is always the 5lb sledge hammer.

Also not sure of the programs you are using for rendering, but maybe try rendering to one of the templates (mine has a DVD NTSC template that puts all settings in for me).

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 11, 2005 at 6:10:19 pm

OK, I've redone the whole system drive, reinstalled Win2k without the tweaks and reinstalled MSP7

MSP7 gives me Preview/DV/Both options, but when I install the patch3 that's when I only get VFW Playback Engine

Still getting poor performance, so I'm going through the tweaks again.

You would think that a system this big would work good

Return to posts index

wayl0n
on Jun 11, 2005 at 9:28:35 pm

Try defaulting your BIOS too if performance is still bad, even give ASUS tech support a call have t hem walk you through the settings. Also, if you haven't already used them up, I believe Microsuck gives you like three free complimentary tech support calls, might want to see if they have an answer fo you. But you are right, is hould be screaming....I have a P4 ASUs setup as well and it has been working overall very well, renders DVD mpeg2 pretty fast.....but if your rendering speeds are decent, just the program performance and overlay functions are sluggish, sounds like it is your video card. Look at your vid card website or forums and see if there are any tweaks or anything you can do to bump up the performance for video editing.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Jun 13, 2005 at 12:41:36 pm

Well, it goes to show I'm not as smart as I look . . .

I had my Project settings all wrong. I didn't check it before I started trying to work with some .avi files. So, that helped a little.

However, after a 10-15 sec of timeline playback, the CPU usage gets up to 100% and stays there. The memory Total is well below Available (maybe too far!).

And, when I try to do a title overlay "testing" with Animation and Effects for 5 sec, the first time I run it from timeline it looks pretty good, if I run it again the screen freezes and jumps until it gets past the title.

Also, noticed that the more times I Preview, the quicker the CPU gets up to 100%.

Is there a MSPro "tweaks" site somewhere that tells the best way to configure MSPro setting?

Sounds like a memory or graphics problem.

Got a post from another site that says MSPro was written to work with Matrox cards. Is it possible that MSPro just isn't using the GeForce processor and 256k memory adequately?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]