FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making nice (and simple!) DVDs

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
disco_al
Making nice (and simple!) DVDs
on Jun 9, 2005 at 9:51:41 pm

Hi there everybody!

I'm about to build/buy a new system to edit using Avid Xpress DV, and once I've made my movies, I want to be able to make them into DVDs which can be viewed on any domestic player. I don't think the Avid software i'm getting comes with any DVD authoring software, so could anybody out there reccomend any?

All i want is to be able to make fairly simple DVDs, with basic menus, chapter stops, and hopefully an image for the menu background (or even video!?). The DVDs will be of clients weddings and so will be about 1 hour in main program duration. Any suggestions?

I'm also interested in getting a "Lightscribe" DVD burner so i can make classy looking discs. Does anybody know anything about Lightscribe or ever used it? Or do you know of any alternatives? (lightscribe drives laser-etch a design onto the blank top-surface of the disc, which should look pretty classy)

I thank you for your time and help with this,
regards,
Disco

Return to posts index

WTS
Re: Making nice (and simple!) DVDs
by
on Jun 10, 2005 at 2:07:26 am

DVDit or DVDWorkShop by Ulead are pretty straightforward and allow for some growth if you need it. DVDLab by Mediachance is another.

Lightscribe is neat, but kind of gimicky. The media costs more and is harder to find, and it takes a long time to etch the surface. I would recommend inkjet or thermal printable dvd's and use something like the Epson line of dvd/cd inkjet printers. Much faster, and they look great.

jim

Return to posts index

disco_al
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:09:56 pm

Hello again!
Since the above post i've learnt a couple of things:

1. Lightscribe uses discs that aren't as compatible as regular burnt DVDs (and are also more expensive and harder to find). Can anyone else back this up?

Because of this i would like to get a DVD label printer, and one that makes as proffesional looking discs as possible, without costing a fortune! Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

2. I have heard that getting a video edited on Avid, and then burnt to DVD for playback on domestic DVD players is tricky and complicated? Does anybody have any experience of this, or can anyone give me some advice about this?

Thanks for reading & (hopefully) replying to this post, only 3 days before i buy my new system!! AAAAAAAHHHH! Hope i get the right stuff!!!!

Many regards,
disco_al

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:11:39 pm

Disco,

I highly advise against using DVD paper labels if you're considering that. I've found that in some cases the label makes the disc skip in players. This has been a nightmare for me, personally. If anything, go with the latest printers that write directly onto the blank disc top.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:09:19 am

The Casio CW-50 will print text directly on shiny surface CD and DVD media via thermal transfer monochrome ribbons. The Epson R200 will print text and graphics directly on inkjet printable CD and DVD media. They're both about $100.

Return to posts index

cnrambler
on Sep 6, 2005 at 1:43:53 am

I just need this topic. Thank you!

Return to posts index

virtualscribe
DVD / CD printing post, not a burning post
on Mar 9, 2006 at 8:36:51 pm

Epson created a line of R printers for just such this reason. Thier R200 line spawned R300, 320, 340, and then their wider, pro printers which print photography at like 13 inches wide, bla bla.

What you need is just to get their $100 R320 printer and get a few printable DVDs. Then put your DVD in their media, and try to get around their exxxxxpensive 6 separate cartridges of ink.

I keep seeing people on Ebay selling knock off inks, which claim to be about 90% as good as the Epson inks. Still, they probably cost a thousand times what gasoline costs. With inkjet printing, you will get fantastic labels, you will have to let them air dry for a few hours before using the disks. And the majority of your expense will be purchasing funny colored liquids. The printers are nearly free these days.

Sorry; I only speak about printing to your DVDs, not burning them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]