FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY2 - Thermaltake Soprano, P5WD2 & P4 640?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ATLguy
DIY2 - Thermaltake Soprano, P5WD2 & P4 640?
on Jun 7, 2005 at 6:37:01 pm

I am about to finally pull the trigger and buy a custom system from Monarch. They suggested I go with P4 640 (3.2), instead of 540, since it will work with future 64-bit software. Is there any advantage to going with an Asus P5WD2 Premium 955x, instead of a P5AD2e Premium? (Yes, I know someone else has asked that.) And I plan to go with a Thermaltake VB1430BWS Soprano Mid Tower Case (Black), 430w PS - $105. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks again...

Return to posts index

wayl0n
Re: DIY2 - Thermaltake Soprano, P5WD2 & P4 640?
on Jun 7, 2005 at 8:31:25 pm

My only regret with the P5AD2 is the sata sockets, they wiggle loose EXTREMELY easy. I've read of users reporting that just the bass from their subwoofer speaker has loosened them. Just the ride home in my car one time loosened them enough to not read. If this happened with it in a raid while it was writing, I'd hate to think of what would happen, could crash the raid or corrupt the data, so I just left mine as single drives. Looks like the P5WD2 has the same sockets though. Some people have reported that getting name brand cables like thermaltake help with the problem. Apparently they are designing a latching sata connection for select sataII drives.

You might also want to check the CPU fan connection on the mobo. The P5AD2 has a 4-pin connection, some mobo's do not. The fan that came with my 3.4 P4 was a four pin, however, I bought an aftermarket fan that was rated very well, however when I went to connect it, I noticed that the fan was 3 pin....so I had to instead plug it into the case fan plug on the mobo. I've also noticed that the CPU temperature reported by the case differs by almost 10deg Celcius from what the bios hardware monitor reports. Not sure if that is normal?

The case Xplorer cases I absolutely love though, I'd really recommend it, its very durable, has the 500w supply, and awesome cooling power, and for how many fans it has, I couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to my old crappy computer that only had one or two fans.

Return to posts index

ATLguy
Re: DIY2 - Thermaltake Soprano, P5WD2 & P4 640?
on Jun 18, 2005 at 9:50:06 pm

I guess I'm gonna go with the P5WD2 Premium. Here's a review...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2412

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]