FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Hard Drive reccomendations.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maverick
External Hard Drive reccomendations.
on Jun 7, 2005 at 3:48:53 pm

Hello, I'm new to video editing/etc. and decided to get an external HD to store videos/pictures etc.

What is a higly recommended brand? I would like to use those USB drives. Are these good?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: External Hard Drive reccomendations.
on Jun 8, 2005 at 4:05:54 pm

i would suggest firewire over USB if you plan on capturing to the drive. if it is just for storing then USB is fine. Check out the GTECH GDrives on our web site at http://www.videoguys.com/gtech.html

- Jon

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:05:46 pm

Firewire definitely. I agree.

I've found that all of my external drives have worked pretty much the same with equal reliability. I've had no problems with Maxtor, Seagate or Acomdata.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jun 27, 2005 at 1:14:44 am

I bought the hard drive seperate to the external enclosure so I can buy several hard drives and only need one external enclosure.

I have 2 200GB ($60 or so after rebate) and 1 160GB (around $50 after rebates) and they are all 7200 rpm, 8 cache, seek times around 8.9 or less.
The enclosure was about $50.. (has both firewire and USB 2.0)

If you wonder why. I tape long 2hr+ events and use DV Rack and record everything to hard drive...beats those expensive firewire devices that hook up to your camera. (not as portable but, saves space since DV Rack has a waveform/ vectorscope)

Now I just edit and spit it out to tape (or DVD)
Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]