FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple card for VHS captture and DVD output

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smokin
Simple card for VHS captture and DVD output
on Jun 5, 2005 at 12:40:05 pm

I'm helping my father (a complete computer novice) setup his new machine and he wants to transfer a lot of VHS tapes to DVD. I've been looking at the Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Deluxe package (USB version) and have a couple questions.

First, when going to Pinnacle's site, under the descriptions for various "flavors" of Studio Moviebox, I see that they currently have a "special" promo deal where where their package offers include the ability for DivX encoding and Dolby 5.1 surround sound. But, I also noticed in small print at the bottom of one of the descriptions that appearantly there is some kind of extra charge associated with activating these abilities in the software. I could not find any information anywhere on what these charges were or what is involved in the "activation". Having (tried) to deal directly with Pinnacle in the past, I really don't want that kind of headache at the moment so if anyone has any concrete information regarding this additional "activation" cost, I'd really appreciate it. *** Also, do the packages sold here at Videoguys include these capabilities?

Second, does anyone see any conflicts with the hardware setup listed below for using the Pinnacle package:

Windows XP Pro SP 2
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo (nForce 4, PCIe, etc.)
2 x 1 Gig OCZ PC3200 DDR RAM
2 x WD Raptor 36 Gig HD (system) RAID 0
2 x Seagate SATA 400 Gig (storage) RAID 0 with NCQ
Sony DL DVD Burner (unsure of exact model number)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT in a x16 PCIe slot
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Smokin
Uhmmm...
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:00:29 pm

Don't mean to be a pain here, but it's a simple question, really. I'm most interested in what it would cost me to make use of the neat "extra" features of DivX support and and DOlby 5.1.... I can't seem to get a response on the Pinnacle boards either...

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
Re: Simple card for VHS captture and DVD output
on Jul 7, 2005 at 4:04:32 am

Do yourself a favor and get something from Canopus for the conversion hardware.

Few comments about your configuration... nothing is "incompatible" but my thoughts:

Why the SLI board? Expensive... for what? Not video editing. Gaming with money to burn, I could see the need.

2 x 36GB raptors in RAID? Overkill by far. RAID 0 is for an increase in throughput, which is not applicable on a boot drive. The raptor is great with application as a boot drive, but the RAID is unnecessary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]